Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Feature Requests for BlackBerry10 OS

Thanks, that is much easier to understand what you're your asking.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: singtel

Yup. Dont delete the old bb features.

The best thing from BB is BBM and its chat history. If the function is same as other chat apps, what is the use of BBM?

BB10 was built from the ground up, as a new OS. Brand new. Trust me, there are improvements being made every day. Nothing was "deleted", it just hasn't been added as a feature, and since this is not the same old Java based OS, every bit of code is written anew, from the ground up. You can't just go copy and paste a feature from the older legacy device OS.

Anyway, your suggestion is made, thank you.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Device: blackberry z10
My Carrier: bell

I think the features of bbm go much further than the ability to save and check chat history although I too wish it was more like legacy bbm in that sense. However I can't think of a single messaging service that even comes close to having bbm integration.. This my friend IS what separates bbm. I don't think you can play games on imessage for example and although ios for example has face time it isn't integrated into imessage the two run separate. Btw I'm not trashing ios ... just making the distinction.
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell

Preview ringtones before setting them as ringtone. 

Booteefool wrote:

Preview ringtones before setting them as ringtone. 

That is currently possible.

Swipe down from the top bezel > Settings > Notifications > scroll down to Phone > select a tone and it plays (preview). At that point either select another tone or back out to use the one selected.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Supporting the boss's Z10

Related on the ringtone / alert front:  At least on the version currently pushed to T-Mobile users, the selection of tones is pretty haphazard - Ringtones gives you a few ringtones and the choice to browse for music; different types of alert offer different lists of tones and only some types offer the option to browse the handset filesystem for alternatives.

Looks like someone was trying to keep the lists short and manageable but it'd be nice to see "Suggested..." with the ability to expand to "All..." which would also spare users a trip to the filesystem if they want to use something like an email tone for SMS or vice-versa (although IIRC only one of those allows browsing!).

Also not sure if the option to play an alert but not have an event added to the blink-the-LED queue is there - I've only had about 5 minutes with the phone to try to optimize it for my user's patterns but the fact that it wasn't obvious in 5 minutes might mean room for improvement.

Also not a fan of confusing attempts to linearize levels of silencing the phone, as seen on every make and model of phone ever - this is important when your user is an attorney and phone noise is a trip to a holding cell to give you time to find the off switch - no joke!  The volume rocker has to be 'linear', but you can do better than the standard 'muted speaker' icon, followed by 'extra surprise levels of mute' icons - how about multiple indicators in the ephemeral notification that show what's still on when you've reached the 'muted speaker' level and subsequent levels X those out?

As hundreds of horror stories will attest, nobody gets this right on any phone because the feedback to the user just doesn't make enough sense (other than hoping that if you're at the absolute bottom of the linear volume-button travel everything is off, but then 'soft stop' at the first level of mute throws users who've figured out the 'hold the button down' behavior off).  IIRC the Settings dropdown also suffers from some 'hidden mode-itis' - that's basically taking over the screen so there's enough room to provide a big fat MUTE EVERYTHING toggle and finer control by a series of toggles grayed out when the full mute is active but showing what state you'll come back to.

(Okay, super special bonus points if you find a way to cram in both a permanent mute toggle and a timed 'sleep' mute that will make a few special warning vibes before the ringer goes live again... without complicating the settings dropdown toooo much!  Worst part is the timer would be equally useful for vibrate and full mute modes...  and pardon if I've mischaracterized anything as unfortunately I don't have a Z10 in hand to check my recall.)

Dask wrote:

Related on the ringtone / alert front:  At least on the version currently pushed to T-Mobile users, the selection of tones is pretty haphazard - Ringtones gives you a few ringtones and the choice to browse for music; different types of alert offer different lists of tones and only some types offer the option to browse the handset filesystem for alternatives.

I agree totally, more stock tones are needed.

Here's a link to a thread with more tones to download

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Z10/old-BB-ringtones-for-BB10/m-p/2222163#M9609

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Supporting the boss's Z10

Okay, this one's more complex and controversial, but I'll try to keep it short!

• Embrace-and-extend Android with a full Android sandbox.  Or multiple sandboxes.

Is this anathema?  I should've done my homework, but I was a little shocked to find out just how 'sideloading' was actually being implemented even after how long with the Playbook?

I can see how there are some complicated business issues in terms of who gets to monetize what, but a device that can 'do Android' seamlessly while also keeping it (and certain security/stability concerns) out of the actual 'phone' functions is a win for the users.  "Embracing and extending" is potentially also a win for all the parties involved (Google gets to show their ads in the sandbox; BB gets a load of existing apps; demand for quality native apps will still exist particularly on the 'heavy-duty' and enterprise-integration fronts) and unlike the usual "embrace and extend" cases it's not a matter of breaking or crippling Android, just keeping it out of the phone/email/contacts/enterprise stuff that a BB user wants to Just Work No Matter What.  If anyone wants to go crazy discussing this in depth let's fork a new thread, but it's on my wishlist even if I'm nuts.

Oh, and a lighter one!

• Integrate OCR in the camera app.

This'd be a minor win as a convenience feature for people to talk about, but also work around the lack of a whizbang camera translation app on BB10 right now by making it a heck of a lot easier to try to paste something into a web translator.  Cobble something together to pipe it through Tesseract and dump it in the clipboard, then let better 3rd-party solutions plug in by the same route.

Thought I had more but 43 pages of thread to catch up on first. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: singtel

Ability to turn off autocall..

usually this happens when I want to copy a phone number. Instead of copying it, z10 keeps on making autocall.. its considered okay if its local number.. but in my case i have to pay for several stupid autocall that accidentally done by z10 to an international numbers. I cant do anything because end call seems work slower than the person that accidentally called picked up the call..

I hope bb really take this thread seriously.

Thanks for this thread.