Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: BB10 Z10
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

GPS data usage questions

How much data does the GPS/Maps app use?

For example, if I go on an hour long trip, GPS on the whole time, how big a chunk of my monthly data will I use?

Thanks

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BB

Re: GPS data usage questions

[ Edited ]

GPS does not use data, it is the downloading of the maps that uses data.

So that would depend on how often you change area in 1 hour, (how fast you drive)

From what I was told the data consumption is not a lot, I do not know of any way to check it other than go on a 1 hour trip.

Contact Rogers before leaving and find out your current data usage, turn Maps on, do not use any feature on your phone that consumes data during that 1 hour, then call Rogers again to find out present data usage. You will then have a approximate reading of data used in 1 hour.

You may already have a App from Rogers on your phone that you can use to check data usage, like the one I have from Telus.

There are Map Apps that download all the map data to your phone so no data will be used while using the maps but I do not know if they are available for BB.

Forums Veteran I

Contributor

Thanks for the info!  

Thought/assumed (incorrectly it seems) that there was some relatively constant exchange of data as one drove along the calculated route.  This has made me quite reluctant to use the GPS when roaming, especially when in the US.

I will try your little experiment when I next travel out of town and post the results when I have time.

kenzzie

Contributor

Seems like a nice app, but apparently not available for the Z10 Smiley Sad

Forums Veteran I

Ok, good luck with the test and do come back to let us know.

Sorry I did not know the App was not available for Z10, I should have checked it out.