Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Vodafone branch

Gooogle Gmail Contacts don't sync after initial

Q10, BB10.1, Gmail sync (mail, calendar, contacts). IMAP activated. CalDAV, CarDav in use.

Emails and calendar sync properly and quickly.

Contacts only sync once, after defining the Gmail contacts account newly. Then the contacts are getting transferred to the Q10 properly.

Later, when updating a contact on the web, the updates NEVER get synced to the BB. Even after waiting for several days. Only if I delete the account on the BB and re-define it, ALL contacts will transfer again.

When updating a contact on the BB, it SOMETIMES, after quite a long wait,  will sync with the Google server on the web.

I can live with long sync duration for contacts, but not with no syncing at all. I don't know where and how to get support from BBRY. I tweeted them twice, as recommended on their support pages, but never got anything back.

This is a serious issue, and I need to know if there is a solution, or if it's a known one, which will get fixed in the next release. Otherwise I will have to move away from BBRY, as I cannot survive much longer with this issue.

Please no answers to contact my carrier for help. I have purchased a carrier free Q10.

Super Contributor
My Device: Priv, Passport, iPhone 6s
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Gooogle Gmail Contacts don't sync after initial

gnirkatto wrote:

Q10, BB10.1, Gmail sync (mail, calendar, contacts). IMAP activated. CalDAV, CarDav in use.

Emails and calendar sync properly and quickly.

Contacts only sync once, after defining the Gmail contacts account newly. Then the contacts are getting transferred to the Q10 properly.

Later, when updating a contact on the web, the updates NEVER get synced to the BB. Even after waiting for several days. Only if I delete the account on the BB and re-define it, ALL contacts will transfer again.

When updating a contact on the BB, it SOMETIMES, after quite a long wait,  will sync with the Google server on the web.

I can live with long sync duration for contacts, but not with no syncing at all. I don't know where and how to get support from BBRY. I tweeted them twice, as recommended on their support pages, but never got anything back.

This is a serious issue, and I need to know if there is a solution, or if it's a known one, which will get fixed in the next release. Otherwise I will have to move away from BBRY, as I cannot survive much longer with this issue.

Please no answers to contact my carrier for help. I have purchased a carrier free Q10.

A couple of things may help.

1)  Go to Accounts and into your Google Contacts.  Scroll down to the bottom and ensure that Sync Interval is not set to manual.  If it is, choose the sync interval you're comfortable with.

2)  Check your Server Address.  Mine was originally set up by default as m.google.com.  I had sync issues.  Changing it to www.google.com fixed those.

Hope this helps. 

New Contributor
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Vodafone branch

Thank you for the advice.

I already had the sync interval set to 5 minutes.

I changed server from google.com to www.google.com, and it made no difference. Updates on the web still don't sync to the phone.

I made another strange observation:

the default server for calendar sync was set to "www.google.com/calendar/dav/my.userid"

and the default contacts server was just "google.com"

Why is the calendar server's address very specific, and the one for the contacts just the generic one? Might this be (part of) the problem?

Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: Priv, Passport, iPhone 6s
My Carrier: Telus

Sorry, you've hit the limit of my knowledge with that question! I know it works, and is listed everywhere I originally looked for the settings, but I can't explain why with any certainty.

The contact app is using your Gmail login/password to access your account. As you can only have one Gmail contact list, further request details aren't required. As we can have more than one Google calendar, the request to the server has to be more specific. That's my Coles Notes understanding.
My Device: q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

I had a BlackBerry 8700 a long time ago. What a fine piece of technology it was! But it wouldn't last forever, and I had two Nokias (e71 and e72) before my wife decided to buy me a q10 for my recent birthday. (Should have gotten me some pizza instead.)

Sorry, Honey, I have to say this: this phone is the worst piece of c... I ever owned.

It is absolutely impossible to sync any contacts (googlemail, windows contacts, outlook, whatever). I don't consider myself computer illiterate, and I've been trying to transfer my contacts from my old Symbian phone(s) to this non-responsive piece of s... for more than a week now.

And to top it all off, these forums may be good if you want to educate yourself about courtesy ("I appreciate your attempts to help me", etc.), but browsing through this one only confirmed my worst fears: there is no way on earth that this phone will ever function in a way one would expect from such a pricey device. I should flush it down the toilet.

But, anyway, thanks for trying to help some people on these forums - I think they need all the help they can get with garbage devices like the Q10.

Super Contributor
My Device: Classic, Passport
My Carrier: T-Mobile CZ

Thats very strange. I sync my entire gmail account without any problem. Remove the account from the phone and define it for syncing obce more. Choose the very first option 'account for email, calendar, contact'.
New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: O2

I'm having exactly the same problem.

Incidentally, in my case, contacts added on the phone do sync through to gmail; it's in the other direction that the syncing does not work.

What I'm having to do is delete and reload the account once a week to sync.