Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

How To OTA Sync BB10 and non-BES Outlook (Details)

Step By Step Instructions for configuring wireless synchronization of Calendar

and Contacts between a PC/Outlook platform and a BlackBerry 10 mobile device

Note1: This process, similar to others posted on the Internet, is intended to achieve "passive" (e.g., no special user action required) synchronization of Contacts and Calendar. However, this process is for users who wish a "cleaner" interface in their Outlook client...other solutions result in, for example, multiple Calendar containers within the interface...this solution results in just those which are synchronizing via Outlook.com.

Note2: This process is intended for users who have OTHER THAN Hotmail or Outlook.com already as their PRIMARY account within their Outlook client.

Note3: This process is intended for advanced Outlook users; very little specific instructions about how to do things inside of the Outlook client will be provided (but questions are welcome, and will be handled within this thread...just not in the opening posts). This has been tested on Outlook 2007 and 2010 -- it is reported that the Hotmail Connector is not required for Outlook 2013.

Note 4:  More information, caveats, etc. can be found below, in Message 2 of this thread.

PREPARATION

1.  Back up your Microsoft Outlook data

• e.g., in Outlook, make a separate copy of your calendar and contact items to a separate .PST file

2. Take careful note, inside of your Outlook client, of ALL configurations, email accounts, attached PSTs, etc., including any passwords, server names, ports, security, etc. necessary to use those items

• You will be creating a brand new empty Outlook profile...and will need to replicate everything manually
  • Printing Screen Shots is a convenient way to do this

3. Take note of your preferred Outlook layout (e.g., Reading Pane on or off, left or bottom, etc.)

4. Export any Outlook Rules you may use

5. Create an Outlook.com account (if you do not have an existing account, including Hotmail)

EXECUTION

1.  Close Microsoft Outlook, then download and install the Microsoft Office Outlook Hotmail Connector via the following link:

2.  Create a new MS Outlook profile

• Depending on your configuration, you may be able to just launch Microsoft Outlook and select "Advanced"
  • You may need to use the separate Outlook Profiles wizard

3. Launch Outlook, selecting the newly created empty profile

4. When prompted to add your first account, use the advanced settings and select the Hotmail Connector

• Enter your Hotmail/Outlook.com account credentials when prompted.

5. Copy/Import your Calendar and Contact data into their default containers in this Outlook Profile

• If, during "Preparation" above, you created a backup PST file, then open that and use it as your data source -- be sure you use COPY and not MOVE (so as to preserve your backup data) -- close the PST once you are done with this step
  • If you used another means to backup your Calendar/Contact data (e.g, CSV), then follow the appropriate instructions to import into the default containers of this Outlook profile
  • You may get errors if the contents of any records are not compatible (e.g., too many characters). These can be reconciled later.

6.  At this point, Microsoft Outlook should connect to the Hotmail/Outlook.com servers to sync the data. It may take some time for this process to complete depending on the number of entries being transferred. 

• You can view the progress in the bottom right status area of Microsoft Outlook.
  • You may have to manually Send/Receive to get everything to fully populate to the servers.
  • Once synchronization is complete within Microsoft Outlook on your computer, you can confirm that everything transfered correctly via the Hotmail/Outlook.com web interfaces. Note: some recurring events may not transfer correctly.

7.  Now add your Hotmail/Outlook.com account to your BlackBerry 10 device. Your info will then sync to your device.

• Note: this process may take some time to complete depending on the number of entries.
  • By default, it will configure with PUSH turned ON, which may result in delayed/never synchronization of some items. Turning PUSH off and allowing it to PULL at your chosen interval usually allows synchronization to properly complete.

8.  Once everything has populated to your BlackBerry 10 device, you can confirm the setup by creating a test contact or calendar item in Microsoft Outlook and wait for that to sync to your BlackBerry 10 device, and vice versa.

9. Now you can configure into the new Outlook profile all of the additional configurations, email accounts, attached PSTs, and rules that you previously used.

10. Finally, denote your desired email account as the Default within this Outlook profiles "Account Settings".

• Note that this is "Account Settings"...not "Data File Settings"
  • For Outlook to properly work with your preferred email account, you must denote it as default -- but that setting will not affect Calendar and Contact synchronization through Hotmail/Outlook.com.

Congratulations! You now have the ability to keep your Microsoft Outlook and your BlackBerry 10 device synchronized for both calendar and contacts, with a "cleaner" Outlook interface (fewer "containers" displayed), and you need no longer tether to your PC in order to do so.

Good Luck!

More information, caveats, warnings, etc. can be found in the next post.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Re: How To OTA Sync BB10 and non-BES Outlook (Details)

[ Edited ]

Additional information, caveats, warnings, etc. related to wireless synchronization

of Calendar and Contacts between a PC/Outlook platform and a BlackBerry 10 mobile device

If you just got a new BlackBerry 10 device, you may find that you can no longer directly sync your contacts and calendar between Microsoft Outlook on your computer and your device via the BlackBerry Desktop Software or BlackBerry Link -- currently, that function is not available (though the word is that it will return by the end of the year).  Until another sync option is available, what do you do?  One option is to use an email service that offers these abilities, and thus far, the best seems to be Hotmail/Outlook.com (Gmail and Yahoo each claim the same ability, but have limitations). The above step-by-step instructions will also give you this ability, but the following additional information may be important to your specific situation.

1. This process is NOT INTENDED to fully replace the direct sync (USB or BT) between a BB and a desktop app (e.g., Outlook).

• If you have need of that for security or other reasons, then this will not replace it (but BlackBerry has stated publicly that they intend to return that method to market by the end of this year).
  • But this process may be just fine for a subset of users who previously used direct USB/BT sync.

2. This process only only works for Calendars and Contacts. Other than a full BES implementation, there is currently no way (that we are aware of) to sync tasks and memos for personal use.

3. After you have completed the above configuration, you should adjust your Send/Receive settings in Microsoft Outlook to ensure that everything syncs on a regular basis (e.g. every 5 minutes).

4. You may also want to go back and reconcile any errors to fix things that did not transfer between your original Microsoft Outlook Calendar/Contacts and your new Hotmail/Outlook.com Calendar/Contacts.

5. Even if you do not use Hotmail/Outlook.com for any email, do not be tempted to prevent email synchronization of that account within Outlook...if you do, your Calendar and Contact items will not synchronize either.

6. Be very careful, during the preparation stage, to gather all of the details you will need so as to properly configure the new Outlook profile.

• If anything goes wrong, you should be able to simply delete the new Outlook profile and fall back to the prior one so as to start over.

7. This process is intended to result in not only a "passive" handling of calendar and contact synchronization (much like other solutions), but also a "cleaner" interface within the Outlook client.

• Other methods available create additional containers in Outlook for both Calendar and Contacts. Even though those can be denoted as "default" (and, thereby, process items "passively"), you will still be presented with multiple containers within the Outlook interface.
  • This method eliminates those additional containers, showing you only your primary set of containers, yet still processing items correctly within them.

8. Note carefully the success/failure of synchronization. If you leave, on your BB10, Hotmail/Outlook.com configured for PUSH and things are not synchronizing correctly or timely, then consider turning PUSH off and setting it to poll at a frequency you are comfortable with.

• Tests have revealed this to be a problem with PUSH, but changing to PULL seems to correct it.

9. In the Outlook client, when you invite someone to a meeting, you may want to override the account from which the invitation is sent.

• By default, Outlook will use your Hotmail/Outlook.com account for new meetings you create and invite others to, reagardless of the email account you have assigned as "default" in the Outlook profile.
  • But, before you send the invitation, you can override that default, and send the invitation "from" a different email account that you have integrated into Outlook
  • The item will still populate to your calendar, and synchronize through Hotmail/Outlook.com to your BB10 device

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor
My Device: Z10; Q10; Bold 9900
My Carrier: Verizon; ATT

Hello and Thank you for your all your knowledge. I must be doing something wrong with with programming my Z10. I've disabled the "Push" and the minimum time I can put to sync is 15 min - On my computer it is set to sync every 5 min. After cleaning up all my contacts, I made some changes to the "Notes" portion of the contacts and the pictures. They don't sync so I tried changing it from the computer end - still doesn't change.
Also, when I went to CALENDAR settings on my Z10, it asks which email to use for sending and receiving. I had to use my Gmail acct because my MSN (Windows Live) acct was not an option.
Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'm so frustrated that I don't even want to use my BB anymore. I'm really waiting for the Q10 because of the keyboard, but I'm reluctant to get it because I'm sure the same problems will persist because of the software. I currently have a BB 9900 and sync with the desktop software and love it.
Thank you for ANYTHING you can help me with.
Adele
Hall of Famer III

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Eachie wrote:
I've disabled the "Push" and the minimum time I can put to sync is 15 min - On my computer it is set to sync every 5 min.

At present, the shortest interval on BB10 is 15 minutes. We are all hoping that will improve in the future.

Eachie wrote:
After cleaning up all my contacts, I made some changes to the "Notes" portion of the contacts and the pictures. They don't sync so I tried changing it from the computer end - still doesn't change.

I don't understand. You cleaned them up on the device? In Outlook client? Somewhere else? I can't tell. My recommendation is to get the Outlook client done as your original starting point for all calendar and contact data. Then let that synchronize to the device via Outlook.com.

Eachie wrote:

Also, when I went to CALENDAR settings on my Z10, it asks which email to use for sending and receiving. I had to use my Gmail acct because my MSN (Windows Live) acct was not an option.

I can't interpret that...what I suggest you do is follow the instructions, step by step, and stop when you get stuck. Then post exactly what step you are stuck on and what everything looks like at that point.

These instructions are solely for Outlook.com...not other service. I tried Gmail and Yahoo, but neither could function correctly end-to-end. Only Outlook.com worked in my tests. So I can't help you if you must use GMail for your Calendar/Contacts because I'm not using those and that's not part of this thread.

Eachie wrote:

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'm so frustrated that I don't even want to use my BB anymore. I'm really waiting for the Q10 because of the keyboard, but I'm reluctant to get it because I'm sure the same problems will persist because of the software. I currently have a BB 9900 and sync with the desktop software and love it.
Thank you for ANYTHING you can help me with.

I can't tell what you are doing wrong yet...I don't have enough information from you. I need you to follow the instructions, step by step, and stop when you get stuck. I can't tell, from your post, if you've actually done that. Indeed, from your post, it sounds like all you've done is try to activate Calendar sync via Gmail, which is not the configuration for this thread.

I can tell you that I have, via this process, full end-to-end (Outlook client through to Z10) synchronization of my Calendar and Contacts via Outlook.com. An I don't use Outlook.com for anything else...my email is on Gmail, but this process allows those to co-exist just fine for nearly all purposes (calendar invites/replies might yet be problematic). And, I further have this synchronizing with another instance of the Outlook client as well as (now decommissioned, but it worked fine) an Android device. So I do know that this process can work.

But, I need your help if I'm to help you. I need you to follow the steps exactly (no deviations to Gmail for calendar and contacts...only Outlook.com is applicable to this thread) and stop when you get stuck, and post back with exactly what did not go as the step indicates.

Thanks and let us know!

Contributor

Ok.  That you so much.  I feel as if i'm swimming alone and I'm in trouble - so thank you.  

I'm going to try the process ALL OVER AGAIN.  You mentioned "hotmail" - my domain is "MSN" - that's the same, correct?  

Just one more question before I do my do-over.  Should I "wipe" my Z10 of all info before I allow it to sync with my MSN-Outlook?  I KNOW I did it correctly (on my PC) so all my contact info is still correct on my PC. However, when I initially transferred my contacts and calendar onto my Z10, I synced it thru BlackBerry Link.  I think that was my mistake!!!!!  

Do you think I still need to do a complete do-over on my PC AND should I wipe my Z10?

THANK YOU - REALLY!!!

Contributor

Also, I'm a little confused - AGAIN Smiley Happy

I'm using Outlook 2010 on my computer when I set up.  The only email I started with is MyName.MSN.com (using the Hotmail Outlook Connector).   You mentioned an "Outlook.com" account.  Should I, FIRST, go to that website and get another account with "Outlook" or doesn't my MSN account suffice?  

Thank you - AGAIN!!

*smile*

Hall of Famer III

Eachie wrote:

Ok.  That you so much.  I feel as if i'm swimming alone and I'm in trouble - so thank you.   

I'm here to help you...but only for about another 30 minutes today...

Eachie wrote:

You mentioned "hotmail" - my domain is "MSN" - that's the same, correct?   

I'm not sure if MSN is incorporated into that. It might be. What I was able to do was use my Hotmail credentials (that I've had for many years) to enable all of this via Outlook.com. Microsoft did incorporate Hotmail into Outlook.com, but I don't recall if they also did that with their MSN stuff. You'll need to look into that to be sure. If you can, on the Outlook.com website, use your MSN credentials, then it should work.

Otherwise, just create an Outlook.com account...after all, the only purpose it has is for calendar and contact sync...so it doesn't matter for email (except, again, in the case of calendar invite/replies...those can be problematic).

Eachie wrote:

Just one more question before I do my do-over.  Should I "wipe" my Z10 of all info before I allow it to sync with my MSN-Outlook?  I KNOW I did it correctly (on my PC) so all my contact info is still correct on my PC. However, when I initially transferred my contacts and calendar onto my Z10, I synced it thru BlackBerry Link.  I think that was my mistake!!!!!  

Do you think I still need to do a complete do-over on my PC AND should I wipe my Z10? 

That sounds like a good idea. If indeed your desktop Outlook truly contains all that you need for Calendar and Contacts, then wiping the Z10 so as to clear those databases out would be a good idea (they will be re-populated once you get the synchronization working via Outlook.com). However, unlike in the past where we could wipe just individual databases, the Z10 cannot do that and it's a total device wipe...which means also starting over with email on it (as well as FaceBook, Twitter, EverNote, LinkedIn, etc. etc. etc.).

Again, though, that all might not be a bad idea.

Hall of Famer III

Eachie wrote:

Also, I'm a little confused - AGAIN Smiley Happy

I'm using Outlook 2010 on my computer when I set up.  The only email I started with is MyName.MSN.com (using the Hotmail Outlook Connector).   You mentioned an "Outlook.com" account.  Should I, FIRST, go to that website and get another account with "Outlook" or doesn't my MSN account suffice?  

Thank you - AGAIN!!

*smile*

Never having used MSN, I still don't know that answer. You should go to the Outlook.com website and see if you can log in via your MSN credentials. If you can, then it should work for this process. If you can't, then you should create a new Outook.com account to use for this purpose.

Contributor

Thank you.  You really are heaven-sent.  I'm going to try everything you mentioned and since you're leaving in 30 minutes, I'll leave a message indicating that I was successful because of you.  I think it'll work now because I see the flaw in my original execution.  

Have a wonderful evening and I hope to "read" your comments tomorrow.

Smiley Happy

Hall of Famer III

Excellent...I look forward to seeing your messages tomorrow. Cheers and you are very very welcome!