Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

New Contributor
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Vodafone PT

IMAP and calender alert

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but a return BB user after 2 years with an iphone 4s.

Well, after 5 days using Z30 there are some issues that i couldnt solve so i'm asking for experts help Smiley Happy

1 - IMAP sync, seems like many users with problems on these. I have an outlook.com account (hotmail) and some business emails (no exchange servers) on a server (cpanel) that are managed by us. I have also those accounts (except hotmail) setup up on Outlook 2013 as IMAP. With my old BB 8520, and my iphone 4s, everything was working like a charm, if i answered an email on outlook the  answered appeared in sent items on the 4s and outlook (as they should be), if i reply from the iphone the same happened (the answered email appeared in sent folder on both iphone and outlook 2013). The same for the reading mails. With iphone when the email was opened in 4s almost imediately it was syncronized with oulook 2013. That worked for more than 2 years with first Outlook 2010 and now with 2013.

But with z30 nothing of this as happen in a smooth way Smiley Sad  When I read emails on my Z30 it also doesn't push the read status to my computers outlook. And the same happens to answered emails. When i answered an email from the Z30, the arrow sign that indicates on Outlook 2013 that an answered was made, never appears. WIth iphone was almost imediately.

I have tried remove an reinstall account but no success. Tried with and withou push, and nothing.  Sometimes if I hit refresh button in BB Hub, it sync (but only for reading, never for the answered ones), but I expect it should be pushed, or at least between the time interval selecetd on settings.

2 - Calendar as much better than 4S that was one of the main reasons for me to return to BB, calendar, contacts and emails are great on BB (except the issues on my point 1), but i hane not figured yet, how calendar alerts shows up with the screen off. I ear the alert sound, the led starts flashing, but i expected that Z30 screen lighst up for a seconds as did 8520 and iphone 4s. Maybe i was missing some setting.

For now is everything. As for a final word, Z30 is a much much better phone than 4S and i hope to solve the email issue because for me, and my work, its absolutely crucial that all accounts became sync as they where.

Thanks

Paulo Mateus

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: IMAP and calender alert

Hi and Welcome to the Community, and welcome back to BB!

Start with this -- cease using IMAP with Outlook.com. Outlook.com supports native EAS, which provides tremendously better service than IMAP. So, shift over to EAS and then see how it's all working for you.

Regarding item 2 -- BB10 is a completely new OS, it was not an evolution from legacy. How things worked in the past do not necessarily correlate to how they function now. I believe that what you describe is a battery saving function...to automatically light up the screen would consume battery power, so I believe they elected to require the human to make some action (e.g., swipe up the screen) before activating the display.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

Well, maybe my english or long post could cause some confusion Smiley Happy. Even i had an hotmail account configured, my main concern are the company accounts. I only have that hotmail account because the sync with calendar, and with calendar is everything perfect. I had setup that account not from IMAP option, but from Outlook.com option on the Z30 settings. Is that wrong? Should i use Microsft Exchange ActiveSync instead of outlook.com settings option?

The other accounts "mydomain.com" are the important accounts and the IMAP problem is concern me alot, because my working day is almost out of the office (receiveing and answering emails) and at night i also work for a couple of hours and the sync process with Outlook (the program, not the service) is mandatory to my organization.

What is more strange to me is that with iphone (and note that im not in no way an iphone boy Smiley Happy ) all the accounts (7 in total) work on IMAP without one single issue. If the email was opened on Outlook (the program), imediately the same emai appears as read in iphone. If i answer an email from iphone, almost imediately the answered appeared on Outlook (the program) sent items and the original email was marked as answered with an arrow (the Outlook sign for answered emails), and so on. A true IMAP sync without an issue in 2 years. Thtas was also the way that 8520 worked, with BIS i know, but the process was exactaly the same.

I'm a bit sad that the things are not working with Z30. I love the phone. Excelent quality, cintacts integration, calendar, i just love it and for my work (computer related) is the best companion i could have, well... the second best Smiley Wink

I want to believe that is my fault, but i have waste hours reading and reading, and no way i could understand where is the problem Smiley Sad

Item 2 - Ok, i understand that, and BB10 is a great OS. So is not an option that we can configure? I think, just my opinion, that the user should have the option to show the calendar alerts even that the screen was off, but i understand that the battery drain was fast with that option on. For me were a fantastic ad on a next update, but i'm only one guy Smiley Happy

Many thanks and sorry for some english flaws

Paulo Mateus

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Oh sorry...I thought you were having issues with Outlook.com. Setting up as you say is correct...that uses EAS.

For your other accounts, given what you say, I recommend you review the OS level of your Z30. The OS has been evolving, and earlier versions had more difficulties than newer versions, including how they handle email. So, it is completely possible that a newer OS will function better for you than what you are running on your Z30 now.

BIS, however, is irrelevant. BB10 does not use BIS, so nothing about how that worked before matters.

Regarding item 2, I know of no configuration item for what you desire.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks for your answer.

My BB10 software version is 10.2.1.2102 and SO version is 10.2.1.2141, dont know if is the last one.

Regards

Paulo Mateus

Hall of Famer III

The last official from some carriers I think is 10.2.1.2947. I cannot know if your carrier is on anything later than .2102, but you can move beyond that via either Sachesi or AutoLoader if they are not.

Good luck and let us know!