Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Q10 - PB64
Accepted Solution

Importing an S/MIME certificate on Z10 from one's computer

Hi all,

The Z10 Help file "20130127_BlackBerry_10-FullHelp-en.pdf" said:

Import a certificate from your computer
1. Do one of the following:
• To import the certificate using a USB connection, connect your BlackBerry device to your computer using a USB
cable. If necessary, on your computer, enter your device password.
• To import the certificate using a Wi-Fi connection, tap Storage and Access. Set the Access using Wi-Fi switch to
On. Type a storage access password. Tap Identification on Network and make note of the Username.

etc . . . . etc . . .

I would like to hear from anybody who would have achieved this successfully standalone without BES or  Administrator, or any similar equipment.

The Help guide is not clear about any possible pre-condition.

Just to be sure . . .

Thanks,

Bernard
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Importing an S/MIME certificate on Z10 from one's computer

Hello blondiex.

The following guide will provide you with more information regarding S/MIME configuration on BlackBerry 10:

http://bbry.lv/Z9VR93

You can digitally sign or encrypt messages if you use a work email account that supports S/MIME-protected messages on your BlackBerry device. Digitally signing or encrypting messages adds another level of security to email messages that you send from your device. (BES/BDS is required)

Thank you.

-FB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click "Accept as a Solution" for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Q10 - PB64

Re: Importing an S/MIME certificate on Z10 from one's computer

Thank you FozzieBear for your prompt response.

Please note that the text you are proposing in reference http://bbry.lv/Z9VR93 is the same text as the Z10 Help guide I was referring to.
May I assert that there is no explicit reference to BES in this section of the text hence making us believe that there is no pre-condition for certificate import. Many people use a work email account that supports S/MIME-protected messages (i.e. MS Office Outlook with appropriate certificates).

This is only to explain how I got confused by this Help document.

The key point of your answer is BES/BDS is required. It's good to know that on time and to have this information clearly set in the specification of the product.

Thanks again FozzieBear,

Bernard