Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: BB 9790, Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone

List of improvements

Dear Blackberry,

I am since 10 years a blackberry lover and I have not regret it since then.

Nevertheless, I expected a lot of changes and upgrades for the new 10.2 OS. Some of them were fulfilled but still there are some very important aspects that I miss in daily life and would kindly as you to update:

• please for the Germans: create a shortcut for the signs "ä" "ö" and "ü". It takes to much time to longpress. That is not quick writing at all. It worked perfect on all the OS 5-7 devices with writting ae and it would replace it with "ä" if you put this command in the replace settings "%b%ä" : it does not work on bb10 and it would be lovely to see a quick type feature like this again. I assume it will not take too much effort
  • FM Radio: if it is not too much to ask please add an fm radio
  • Calender Location: could you please insert the function that after enterning the loaction for a calender appointment I can open my maps just by clicking on the streetname in my appointment? I have used it so often that I just put the streetadress in my calender entry and when the appointment was upcoming i always looked up the adress and could not even copy the adress to Maps. I would help a lot if you could just by clicking on the adress open BB Maps or any default map programm with exactly that adress
  • Copying numbers: one of my most needed fixes and one of the most enoying ones. How to copy just ONE number and not share the whole contact? It is always a hide and seek game to do so. The normal way would be to search for the contact. After choosing the contact my idea would be to longpress on the number (call number or text to number button) I like to send away. But nothing happens.The only way is a) to share the whole contact which does not work if peoples phones are older or b) to click "edit contact", longpress the number and then click copy. Another way it works which is way quicker for me but not the first guess is by opening the phone application. In the phone application you can easily copy the number of the person in you phone history list or choose contacts and can copy the number there. Why so complicated?
  • talking about the call history: why is it not possible if I called someone to send this person directly from the call history a text message? If you click on the contacts and then choose a contact (within the phone app) it is possible without any problems. But there are a lot of situations when you call a number you do not need to have a contact for. If this number is in the call history if would be very nice to have an option to quick send an sms in the option menu as well. Not having this option takes so much more time by copying the number, opnening the hub and insert in the text message field. Why so complicated when easy is possible?
  • Remember: I love the app and use it for everything: but could you please make it possible if i have chosen a label to change it later and not only for the folders on my blackberry but to an evernote synced folder too? That would be awesome
  • Search engine: after the update to OS 10.2 there is no more "search in browser option" when you just type in anything - that was a very good option before to find places quite quickly.
  • Serach engine and contacts: when I am looking with the search engine for a contact: a) although my theme is "dark theme" for the contacts in the search field it is a "white theme". It would be nice not to have this changes. b) it would be very nice if you could copy the number directly from this search result which is (compare above) from the contact not possible

This is a short list of small changes which will help at least myself - and I think very many other people too - in our daily life.

Thanks for you consideration,

best regards

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: List of improvements

All are fair suggestions...

There are some workarounds for some of them, and for some they won't come, such as the FM radio. It f the hardware is not present for FM radio, software can't add it.

Do you want a one by one comment on each of your items? Since you're addressing the message to "BlackBerry" and we here are all just users like you, I am asking.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Playbook, Z30
My Carrier: Telus

Re: List of improvements - link to maps from Calendar appointment

[ Edited ]

The location of a Calendar appointmnent (identified by an icon in the calendar) should auto-transfer to a map application using a simple gesture (tap or press).

My Device: Q10
My Carrier: T-mobile

[ Edited ]

While some of you might think that the author of this thread speaks for himself, in reality, he represents the views of thousands of users who have the same complaints.

As do I,  with my addition to this open letter to BlackBerry.

"Contact Categories" or "Contact Folders":
I have almost 650 contacts in my Q10 and have no way to categorize them as I did with my Bold 9900 or even my 10 year old Sony Ericsson P 900.
Do you know how time consuming it  is to try and scroll through so many contacts?????
And even when I do that, I can't find contractors that don't have business name, esp. to locate a contractor by category (ex. electricians, drywall contractors or carpenters) or suppliers by city, state or country.
I can't believe that you didn't include this intelligent, common feature (other brands of cell phones and OS7 legacy devices have it) with OS 10 and that in one year since it's release, you haven't reinstalled it!

Selective Sync and Cross Platform use
You've taken away the intelligence of deciding which documents, folders and media we want to sync and given us two choices: either all our files or just calander and conatacts.

I don't know about PC users, but the apps "Remember" and "Documents to Go" don't do me much good, if I can't sync them with my Mac in some way (you used to include "Notes" for Mac users and even had the initial sync between "Notes" and the "Remember" app. Why the one time sync, is baffling to me.

I live in the U.S., I would include "One Touch Speed Dialing", except that you have re-added that useful feature back with the OS10.2 update... .
I would also add  fixing the "Text Editing" tools , which is nearly impossible to use with 10.1, but you have improved it, with 10.2

And both of these fixes bring me to my next issue:

OS Software Updates:
You released OS 10.2 in the end of October and several other minor updates to10.2 since.
I'm in the U.S. and it's now almost the middle of January and we still can't get even get the original10.2, unless we download a "Leak" via the use of another software program. And then we "do so at our own risk".
We all know that Apple moved quickly to fix their well known mistakes, but BlackBerry, which is sinking, takes a year to get around to correcting their mistakes and updating their OS.
I don't know about Droid or Windows phones, but when Apple releases an update to their OS, it's immediately available to everyone.. Want the available update to your iPad or iPhone or computer, click the software update button.

If it wasn't for the some hardcore BB users showing us how to load the 10.2 leak, I'd be using an iPhone right now.
Because 10.1 acts like an OS that's in it's primative stages and is buggy and erratic in it's execution.. 

Touch Screen Sensors:
I'm on my 3rd Q10 replacement, because the touch screen isn't calibrated.
I thought that it was the phone that I bought and that the replacement was a refurbished phone  with the same problems..
But that's can't be the case with three phones in a row!
I don't know if it's a software issue, since with the 10.2 update it seems to have improved slightly overall and greatly with the text editing tools, or if it's a global hardware issue with the Q10.
On numerous occasions (and I mean NUMEROUS), I have tried to answer my phone, swiping over and over and it won't answer or dismiss.

I've had several calls go to voicemail because of this.. which are potential new customers that I could lose, if they decide that they need to speak to someone in my field now and don't want to wait for me to get back to them.
I thought that the Calculator/Converter/Tip app was broken, because when I tapped the "="  key, it wouldn't execute a sum total.
Then I just discovered that if I tapped the very bottom of the = key, it would work.. And it's the only way it will work.
Trying to use a search box or login button is ridiculous at times..

It's embarassing to sit there and tap the screen over and over and over  with a client watching while I'm trying to bring up something that they're looking for.

Even by myself, I feel stupid doing this.
I have read that those who are able to update to 10.2.1.1055 have experienced better touch screen sensitivity.. but I wouldn't know that, since I'm Mac based and I can't load that leak without a PC.

Text Editing is still time consuming because 50% of the time, the phone often doesn't  understand the input between wanting to move the cursor or wanting to highlight the text.

The Big One: APPS:
This is the most common complaint about BlackBerry.. And you know it!

I use my phone as a business tool and I'm only concerned with a few apps that are utilitarian.

Having my phone number listed for my business as well as my landlines forwarding to my Q10 when I'm out in the field, I get hammered everyday by telemarketers.

With the Bold, I had 2 very good Call Blocking apps as well as an email blocker.

I wrote to the developer of one of the call blocking apps and they told me that they were still waiting on BlackBerry to provide them with whatever it was that they needed in order to develop software that has selective call blocking and white and black lists.

It's been a year already.. What are you doing?
Other software developers (like Shazam) and merchant service providers for credit card swiping are abandoning the BlackBerry platform.
Mobile Credit Card payment is growing fast.
It started with iOS "The Square" and caught fire from there.
Now the major banks are getting on board this and are offering mobile credit card swiping.

A year ago, there were almost a dozen merchant service companies I could choose from for mobile credit card payment with my BlackBerry. Now they only support iOS or Droid and there are literally none  (In the U.S.) for BlackBerry.
I advertise that I take  payments by credit card (which is a deal breaker for many potential customers) and now I can't take them, except if I'm in my office in front of my computer..
Do you think that are only a relatively few BB  users that are confronted with this same problem?

I don't need all of the other apps, but Thousands of people want the "cool" apps that everyone else has.
And the choices that you do have to offer are mostly mediocre at best. It's insulting to the owners of your phones.

BlackBerry die hards have to resort to going to a BlackBerry fan sight and learning how to "side load" Droid apps.

And either these side loaded apps don't work (I took the time to try and side load Shazam and it loaded but didn't work) or they don't work as good as they should.

If thousands of people are spending the time to go out of their way to "side load" apps onto your phones, what does that tell you about your app selection??
People want the apps that everyone else thinks are hot and are hot and they want access to Google Playbook.. and you won't cut a deal and make it happen.
And you keep telling these people that you care about them as customers and please, "don't give up on BlackBerry".

Voice Control

Another OS 10 app that's inconsistant in it's execution and with poorly thought out responses.

Command: "Call Mr. X"

OS 10: "Would you like to call Mr. X?"
Command: "Yes".
OS 10" "Would you like to call Mr. X now?"

Please explain to us, Why anyone would command a phone to call someone, if they didn't want to call them now?????)
Command: "Yes".

OS 10: "The voice command wasn't understood"
Command "Yes"

OS 10" "Would you like to call Mr. X now?"
Command: "Yes"

Command: "Yes".... "YES!"

Command: F%@!!...YES!!!!!

OS 10: "Blip"......

I don't know.. is it just me.... or does it look some phone software designer, found a way to make us look like we're on glue?

Good Is The Enemy Of Great
A Custom Electric

[ Edited ]

A Custom Electric

velocitymj, I agree totally on the OS update process being unified and pushed by BlackBerry itself. I understand the "why" this is not unified, but I don't like it either.

As far your contact categories, agreed also. I don't use them any longer, and don't need them. You should take some time and place your 'category' in the company name, such as "ABC Contracting electrical" or "XYZ Contracting Drywall". I've done that in many of my contacts (not ALL of my 2000+ contacts need it, just a couple hundred, like I'm sure all of your 650 don't).

Good luck.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't post the comment about the categories if I didn't need them.
On my Bold, it was a matter of syncing the contacts from my computer, which are already categorized, with my phone, which automatically copied the folders that they were placed in and labeled them identically.
That's intelligent design that has been in use before the development of the smart phone.
"You should take some time and place your "category in each company name"
Perhaps you have the time to scroll through your 2000 contacts and create some sort of redundant listing for them.

I don't have the time to look up contacts on my computer, then go to my  BlackBerry and type in a category for each one To suggest that I and thousands of other BlackBerry users with the same complaint, have the time to do something that is so unnecessarily redundant, is presumptuous.
And we don't need to spend this time if we go to a different platform (which thousands have now done), because at least those companies understand the importance for business people to have a phone that is plug and play and not a phone that you have to spend hours on, organizing one area, such as contact categorization, in order to use it.
We took the time to personalize our phones on our Legacy devices and BB, threw all that work away with OS10.

It's now a world of BYOD and no longer one where BB is the business phone leader, with BB servers that dictate the use of a BB device on BB's terms.
It's also no longer a world, where keeping someone on the phone for two hours with tech support is acceptable.
That attitude of presumptuousness towards their customers, is what has dropped BlackBerry to the bottom of the market and will push them out if they don't change it.
No one wants a "niche market" phone that only does a few things well, with mediocre apps and that only integrates well on certain computers (that's one of the reasons why Windows phones are struggling)
Why would they, when they can buy a phone from one of the competitors that is more sophisticated via features, set up, ease of use, integrates seamless either way across computer platforms and has the support of software companies making the "great" apps that everyone wants?

A Custom Electric

1. This "you" (me) doesn't work for BlackBerry, I'm a user same as you.

2. I highly doubt you have all 650 contacts categorized. I don't have on my 2,000. Just the ones that needed it.

Anyway, it was a suggested workaround to improve your workflow, by no means trying to put you out.

I remember when I first did mine that needed this, I just took my time at a doctor appointment and did about half, when I had nothing else much to do.

good luck!

Knowledge Base Updates

[ Edited ]

"2. I highly doubt you have all 650 contacts categorized

To think that because you don't need to categorize your expansive contact list, then no one else does, is both off topic and self centered.
That presumptuous comment exhibits the same shallow mindedness that drove BlackBerry down.

Who do you think you are telling us what we need or what what is and is not, an improvement???
I believe that this thread is titled and was created to "List improvements" needed to be implemented by BlackBerry.
It's title, is Not "improvements submitted for the approval of JSanders"

And how utterly arrogant for you to insinuate that I'm a liar.

For your edification, here is my contact list.
Every contact is in a category. It makes no sense to create a contact and then not take a moment to put it into category. It's so easy on a Mac.. no typing, just drag it over.
Notice the number of contact cards (at the bottom right)
And lest you think that the majority of my contacts are friends, I have included a screen shot of that open folder as well.

Approx. 90% of my contacts are business related.

As is the majority of my phone usage.

And I could care less if you want to doubt that too.
I have no more time for small minded people, who have nothing better to do with their lives than dwell in forums, arrogantly posting false accusations.

As You can see BlackBerry, I'm a small business, with a correspondingly sized amount of contact folders.
Imagine the number of contact folders that management for mid to large size businesses have.
Esp. those operating are more geographically spread out than my business is.

contact category list for BB forum **bleep**

Card # proof for bb **bleep**

Just in case, you think that this accidentally created folder has anything in it:

empty folder

A Custom Electric
Highlighted

Great, I was wrong. You have all contacts categorized.

Please don't put words in my mouth; I never said you had no need for categories. Never. I even said I formerly used them as well, and found a workaround that works for me. I own and run a couple small businesses as well and this works for me.

It may not work for you.

Sorry that I tinkled in your corn flakes.

Knowledge Base Updates