Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Sosh

Music app issues

[ Edited ]

I'm playing around with the music player, and noticed something odd: the Z10 (and, I think, Q10/Q5 by extension) is supposed to support OGG files. However, if I put an OGG song on my SD card, the Music application don't add it to the collection. But, if I launch the file manager and tap on my file, it will play it without any issue, I guess using a Music card.

I first tried OGG files for a reason: I have a ton of music on my phone (MP3). All this music is synchronized from a FLAC collection on my computer, using Rhythmbox (the default GNOME media player). But this last one has an issue: when it convert the music to MP3 (VBR), it doesn't set a Xing header. The Xing header is supposed to help media players with VBR files: it contains the song length. However, this length can be computed if the header is missing (VLC does it just fine, for example). But the Z10 isn't. It only cares about the first frame in the file, hence compute erroneous durations. If I manually add a Xing header, everything is fine, the Z10 sees the right duration. It's not the only culprit: Rhythmbox should obviously set a Xing header. But the Z10 should be able to manage without.

For the record, these checks have been made on a Z10 running BB10.1.0.4181. It would be nice to have these issues fixed in the future!