Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: Vodafone

Music player treats "Album Artist" tag incorrectly

Hi

Following bugs in the "Music Player" of BlackBerry 10 OS (atleast on Q10). Mostly around how the Music Player treats "Album Artist" tag.

Album view:

- In the Album view, the albums are listed using "Album + Album Artist" combination and if no "Album Artist" tag exist for the track then the albums are listed using the "Album + Artist" combination.
- This behaviour is non standard and results in lot of issue where a compilation album is listed multiple times, once for each artist.(e.g. 100 Popular Classics is listed over 50 times as there are 50 different artists in that compilation).
- The standard (Windows Media Player etc.) behaviour is that albums are listed either using the "Album + Album Artist" combo or just "Album" tag.

Artist view:
- In Artist view, if the track has an "Album Artist", it ignores the "Artist" tag altogether. i.e. the priority is given to "Album Artist" tag
- Again this is non standard as it does not list all the artists.
- The standard (Windows Media Player etc.) behaviour is that the Artist view gives priority to "Artist"  tag followed by "Album Artist", "Contributing Artists" etc.

These bugs result in a very aggravating and distressing experience with a simple standard app as a "Music Player" :-(

p.s. The same issues exist in BlackBerry Link software too.
My Device: Z10

Re: Music player treats "Album Artist" tag incorrectly

Hi,

I'd like to second the problem with "Album View", but I would not argue with "standard (Windows Media Player) behaviour". You guys at Blackberry probably know, that you only have a chance if you make exactly the device, that people want. And what I and probably every music lover want is a music player which shows a compilation album as one album, because that's what it is, one album.

The question is only, how to decide, which titles come from a certain album. Obviously, with a compilation album, it can't include the "Artist". I also don't want to have an "Album Artist", because a compilation album doesn't have one and I don't want all the different artists shown as "Various Artists" in the "Artist View". For a lot of albums "Album" will work great and for others like "Greatest Hits", it still gives the user the chance to change that to "Foo's Greatest Hits". So I'd recommend "Album" or, if filled, a combination of "Album" and "Album Art" which would probably be the best solution.

With the "Artist view" the situation seems not so clear. I do have a lot of songs of the type "X with A" and "X with B". I can understand people, who want to have those listed only under X, but also people who want to distinguish between both. If you can't configure the application behaviour, I believe using an "Album Artist" to overwrite the shown artist name, might be a good solution. Or using the "Contributing Artist".

But with today's music player, unfortunately I have to agree with the poster's opinion of a 'aggravating and distressing experience with a simple standard app as a "Music Player"'.  But luckily it can be easily improved :-).

Thanks in advance!

Contributor
My Device: Passport

Hi, I gave up using the standard music player and purchased the Neutron music player which, by far is the best player.

At £5.00 it's a bit steep, but better 5 quid poorer than turning into a schizophrenic psychopath. :-)
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

does Neutron works 100% if your music files are on the SDcard now?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: