Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

My Device: BB Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile Netherlands

Re: OMG! My Q10 has just deleted all my emails and text messages!!

Hello, 

I'm new to this board I have found this post searching for a solution to my problem with the Q10.

I'm from the Netherlands and I have a Q10 since 2 months. The same thing happend to me already 2 times:

everything in the Hub is gone. I went to sleep and when I wake up all is gone, no Text messages, no call logs, no

emails,and also all my facebook notifications. Only thing left is a few facebook messages (private).

It happend after about 3 weeks and again after 3 weeks and I didn't even toch my Q10 because i was sleeping,

I hope someone has solution for this very annoying problem. I don't want this happening every 3 weeks.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10

DirkNetherlandsd- Welcome to the club, take a number. Smiley Sad

Seriously, call your carrier and get a case number from Blackberry.

Unless someone else has a suggestion to forward this issue...other than make a lot of noise.

Contributor
My Device: Q10.1
My Carrier: Verizon

This is bad news and definitely a Glitch in BB Q software, it is not an individual server issue...

I had the same issue, but interesting part was that I have several email accounts from same server set up on my BB and it only happened to one particular email account. I checked on the server and noticed that the emails are still there... This is really frustrating and hope that BB would be so kind to apologies for this...

Trusted Contributor

I got another email from BB yesterday after I asked if they'd checked this forum:

"I have checked through the link you sent in from the forums though as this issue is not as it's not reproducible internally, We need to try and gather the logs after this issue happens if it happens again to further investigate the issue."

When i first started out on this journey of wasted time and deleted emails, not too long after I 'upgraded' my phone, I successfully sent my log files to BB but there was nothing helpful in them.

Are you guys sending your log files? and more importantly has ANYTHING been determined from the files?

cheers

Highlighted
My Device: BBQ10
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

This happened to me this morning. I have a BBQ10 , shut it off to charge last night, turned it on this morning and all my text mssg convos deleted, all emails for past month deleted, call history log deleted. i called BB, they transferred me to my service provider (Virgin) who talked to me for a long time and determined this isn't a network issue, it is a device issue and BB should be troubleshooting. Again, like many (all) of you, was told to security wipe and reset phone to factory defaults, encouraged to back up data , etc.

i struggled for a long time which phone to get, especially as I have the Samsung 8.0 tablet and wanted to sync a Samsung phone potentially with it (previously had a non-smartphone Samsung that served me well for a long time).

i'm not an iphone or android hater - they have proven products and good software and NO complaints from everyone i know who uses either.  I gave BB a "chance" , stood by the "underdog" to support "Canadian" and like many of you for the love of the keyboard.....

but my solution to this is......... i'm going either iphone or android.  This bug is a big, unaddressed issue and should be embarrassing to BB for not being able to provide service to customers in response to it.  i am not taking the chance of losing convo threads and emails again - i have never heard of this happening to Apple (pioneers of this technology) or to Samsung (their technology and marketing is amazing).

Sorry to everyone on here experiencing this..... i understand and empathize with all of you.  in our day and age of instant connection and reliance on technology, this type of glitch is unacceptable for me.  Good luck to all of you and i will keep my eyes on this thread in case anyone finds a solution, but i'm not holding my breath.

Trusted Contributor

Blackberry archived my case:

"Hello xxxxx,

Since this issue hasn't occurred since May and without logs to capture the occurrence as well not being able to reproduce this issue internally I am following up to advise you I am going to place this case in an archive status, the case is always accessible and should anything comes up please reply to this email and I'll reopen the case in the event that the issue occurs again.

If you require further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you again xxxxx for contacting us."

Would have been so cool if they'd actually done something instead of waiting for it to happen again.

anybody else out there have any satisfaction?

New Contributor
My Device: Q10

[ Edited ]

It is now a month since I had my only incident with my Q10. I can only say that I have been very cautious about the "delete prior" function and I have turned off auto software updates on Link.

I was able to get back all Gmail emails and after a request to Yahoo, most of the Yahoo emails were restored to the server. The migration back up restored the call logs and text massages.

Be sure to back-up regulary. I hope I do not see a reoccurance,. Brian at BB tech suport has stayed in touch and I made him aware of this forum. Same issue with the log however, must be done right after an incident.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the update mikeb91837

Glad you got most of your emall back. Did they give you any idea as to the issue or did they take  the "be quiet and let this whole thing blow over" approach?

New Contributor
My Device: Q10

I think they took it very seriously but the way they kept in touch and the escalations. I am sure there are people looking into it but they have not nailed down the cause. It is not happening to all devices so there must be somehting unique to all of us who experienced it. Saving a log file right aferwards and forwarding to BB Tech spt will help them nail it down.

New Contributor
My Carrier: O2

[ Edited ]

Hi misterblank

After an initially promising response from BB, with logs taken from my BB, an actual ticket being opened and guarantees by adviser1 that it was being looked into and she would get back to me, I now feel very let down.  I think I will end up getting the same treatment as you!

Later than promised adviser1 came back to me and said she was still reviewing the phone logs, but advising that if I delete the email accounts from my phone and re-add them the emails shoud come bac again if I still have them in my Inbox. Also, asking that if it happens again that I submit the logs and how to do so.

I had contacted O2 and BB within 24 hours of the reported fault and they took logs.

Anyway, I politely reminded adviser1 that all of my emails from the last 30 days had been deleted from my mail servers by BB synching, so I was unable to recover them. I agreed to let her know if it happened again, but asked her to get bak to me with regards to the actual investigation of the fault and recovery of my emails.

The next day, 16th July, I sent a follow up - NO RESPONSE

I sent another follow up 8 days later, 24th July, having heard nothing.

I received a reply from adviser2, saying she would be taking over my case (sorry, pending my case in her name!!), offering the SAME advice and asking the SAME questions, as follows:

"Hello xxxxx

Thank you for your patience and for contacting BlackBerry Customer Support.

Have you attempted to backup your Z10 using the BlackBerry Link software which will provide a secure backup of your Z10 device an all information on it to date?

Can you confirm the exact email address that you are encountering this issue with please?

If this email address is , xxxx@xxxxxx, have you attempted to delete this account from your Z10 device an re-integrate this again on your Z10 device?  Have your emails that you are looking for been deleted from your email account on your computer, or server?

If after this has been re added, you should see all the emails back on your device, if they have not been deleted from your server.

I will pend this case in my name, an at your convenience contact us directly if you are still having issues with email messages

If you require further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thank you again for contacting us.

Sincerely,"

I replied that I had already provided all of this information and received this advice, but answered the questions again anyway.  I asked that the matter be properly investigated, that it was not an isolated incident, as it was being raised by numerous users on the BB support forums.

6 DAYS LATER, yesterday, 30th July, adviser 2 sent me an email with a link to a "relevant article", as follows:

"Article Title: How to leave or remove copies of email messages on the messaging server

Article Number: KB12283

Link: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB12283

Should you require further information on this subject, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thank you again for contacting us."

SERIOUSLY, I know how to do this, but for me 1 of the biggest USPs of BB and why I have remained loyal to BB for so many years and for several upgrades is the messaging fuctionality and ease of managing all of my accounts (including deleting messages and synching!) from my device.

Without this I may as well have any old mobile device.

I have mentioned this to adviser2 and that I feel that the issue is not being properly investigated or addressed.

SO, I await my email eventually telling me that the case is closed, as it hasn't happened TO ME again!

If it does though I will be leaving BB. I lost business as a resut of this glitch!