Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: none

Problem with Location Services in Flight Mode

Hi!

Several times before it happened, that the Location Services symbol appeared in the status bar during Flight Mode and only disappeared several minutes after leaving Flight Mode. Up til now this never posed a problem as I usually plug in my Z10 over night.

Yesterday before going to bed I had 30% left and thought, that this would be sufficient to survive the night and that i'll plug it in in the office. Alas, I was woken up at arround 6am by my phone turning itself off.

When I looked at the Device Manager i found something quiet startling: During the whole time Flight Mode was active (approx. 23:00 - 0600), Location Services where active as well, draining the remaining 30% of battery. (See pictures)

IMG_20140610_085514.pngIMG_20140610_085530.png

My Device is a Z10STL100-3, OS is 10.2.1.3175.

No App was running nor was an Active Frame open.

Does anyone have a clue, why this happened or what caused this? Anyone with similar experiences?

And more important: how can i fix this?

Kind regards,

Uwe

Contributor
My Device: Passport (SQW100-1), OS 10.3.1.2267
My Carrier: MTS - Russia

Re: Problem with Location Services in Flight Mode

I had the same experience on my Z30. Really annoying. Have no idea how to fix it. The OS version is the same.
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: none

Nobody knows anything about this?
Developer
My Device: Z10 Limited Edition and Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Movistar-Venezuela

I saw a resemblance to a user in the Spanish forum mistake is perhaps as happens on the foursquare application was always working and location feature enabled.

Follow me in Twitter:

@Marcossit

BBM Channel:

MarcossitDev: C0002C366  

DeviceSuite For BlackBerry 10:

Link to Download DeviceSuite:

Support was successful? Accept as Solution and click on:

Regular Contributor
My Device: Passport & Classic
My Carrier: Voda UK

hi,

I also noticed that locations services drain my battery in a flight mode even when no apps is running. it can consume all of the power left in the battery. 

my guess is that something tries to get location info repeatedly and not recognizing that the device is actually off line.

Contributor
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Debitel SI

I had a similar experience.

I was in the mountains and in the evening I tired to get a weather forecast for the following day. I used Browser and visited local meteo-website for that purpose. The GPRS reception was bad, as was the GPS, as the house on the mountain has the tin roof.

So I quit in the middle, closed the Browser (minimize + close [X]), so no programs were left running, switched the phone to bedside mode (which is set to turn all radios off, and enable battery saving mode) and went to bed.

In the morning I was shocked to realize the location services were trying to get my location all night long, draining my well-needed battery charge.

Screenshot

1. Bedside mode should turn off location services too when "Wireless Connections in Bedside Mode" is set to "Off".
  2. When location services can not find the location in a timely fashion BlackBerry should do something to reduce power drain.
Contributor

Hmm, I am seeing a pattern here... It happened again. Similar circumstances: staying over the night at a new place with no WiFis, poor cellular coverage, put to bedside mode (with all radios off, battery saving mode on, location services on)...

There's a funny thing you might notice on the screenshots below. When the phone was woken up from the bedside mode for a quick while (my wife borrowed it), the location services battery ussage settled down. After the phone was put back to the bedside mode, the battery drain reengaged.

Really, is there an official way to submit a bug report to BlackBerry?

Elite I
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

[ Edited ]

I don't get your point. What is the bug?

When my device PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876 is in airplane mode and location services is on, the GPS is working. I just tested to confirm using the HelloGPS app. Device in airplane mode. Location service is on. Device sees satellites, gets a position fix, etc. The one thing I don't have, of course, is on-the-fly mapping because the device doesn't have data service to download a map.

If you think airplane mode turns off the GPS, it doesn't.

If you think the power usage of location services is too high, I don't know what would be expected under normal conditions, except location services when when does tend to increase battery usage noticeably. 

Or maybe you have another point. I don't know.

I turn location services off when I'm not using it.

- Ira
Contributor

[ Edited ]

With all due respect to your post, I see we have a different philosophy about the phone usage. Which is totally OK. I'll try to explain mine anyway. Smiley Wink

1. This is 21. Century and I have no time nor interest to turn individual things on or off on my phone on a usage basis. If the phone can't figure out things automatically, then BlackBerry didn't get my point either.

2. You can leave your Location services enabled all the time. When no app is requesting the location, GPS is off and battery usage is 0. Given the Location services are enabled, your GPS receiver will start and stay on all the time HelloGPS is running. Not related to WiFi, cellular, Bluetooth nor NFC (nor Airplane mode). It makes sense.

However, I close all the apps before I put my phone to bedside mode. So there's no need for the GPS to try to get a fix, when there's nobody requesting it, is there? Or is there some phantom process updating geolocation in the background?

3. I am not using the airplane mode. I am not flying and playing with my phone. I am using the bedside mode. As the name suggest, I am sleeping and there is absolutely no need for the phone trying to get a GPS satellite fix all night long. There's a setting to turn the radios off in bedside mode. I wish there was a setting for the bedside mode to disable the location services too.

4. To save the battery I could have turned off the phone before going to bed. But BBOS 10 boot takes an awfull lot of time.

5. The GPS battery drain problem occurs only when in bedside mode. See my charts: the phone was in the same room all the time. Using it or having it in standby didn't drain battery. The Location services battery usage was negligible. Once put in the bedside mode, a constant 3.7% battery drain was introduced. When woken out of the bedside mode the battery drain disappeared.

Why on earth the phone would require the geolocation all the time in bedside mode? Does the Clock application responsible for the Bedside mode require geolocation?

5. I am a senior software developer myself and technically observing this issue made a strong impression on me this is a bug or at least a design flaw.

Elite I
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

1. I agree. Back in the 9700 era I could leave location on all the time. Left wifi on all the time. Never had to worry about battery life. Something changed. For me it started with the 9900 and OS7. So, it is what it is. I don't think it's a bug. I think it's the tech and the way it is.

2. I don't know that that's true. My suspicion is the system is activating the GPS and processing information. My point was that turning on airplane mode does not take the GPS offline. I get part of your point, but I don't think HelloGPS activated a location services subsystem that was previously off and not operating. I think that subsystem was operating to begin with, so long as it iwas enabled.

I'm just going on how I make sense of the facts, not the way I think it should be. I hesitate to say I think it should be different because I know there is more to this than I understand.

3. I didn't read close enough. I got airplane mode in my head because of the thread. Still, you are right, we see this different and we use the device different. I plug my device in to a charger when I sleep and the device is in bedside mode. I don't turn radios off because I want to leave notifican for calls turned on. And as I said, location services is off.

4. As above. I never turn device off, or almost never. Different user, different habits.

5a. That's a good point. I thought of that after I responded. I don't have an answer.

5b. I only know what I can observe about the device behavior. Not informed at all about the workings under the hood. Your point about the difference in bedtime mode is curious, and I take your word on it.

My overall opinion is I would like to leave location and wifi on all the time and not worry about battery life. But it is what it is and I deal with it. The different behavior in bedside mode is curious, but I can see a product manager putting it at the bottom of the To Do list on the rationale that most users would be charging in bedside mode.

However, you may have it upon the answer for users who complain of high battery drain when they are sleeping. My answer is the question, why don't you charge when you sleep. But you may be providing the explanation. The question for those users would be do they have location services enabled, and what happens when they turn it off.
- Ira