Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Blackeberry Z30 & Playbook
My Carrier: Bell Mobility
Accepted Solution

Solar Charger for my Z10

I am considering buying a rollable, portable solar charger for my Z10. Would such a product with these specs,Max Power: 4.8 Watts, 300 mA (model f15-300) produce enough power to safely charge my device?

Canuck by birth 'berry by choice
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Solar Charger for my Z10

300 mA is not nearly enough for a modern smartphone. You'll need at least 850 mA. Better to invest in a battery pack that can recharge your phone a few times.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Contributor
My Device: Blackeberry Z30 & Playbook
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Thanks for the advice.

Canuck by birth 'berry by choice
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: A1

hello!

may i add some thoughts to this topic...i am working since a couple of years on solar chargers for mobile phones.

we do have a solution for this...our solar panel is foldable, keeps constant in performance under "hot" conditions (which most of the products in the market don´t do...your 300 mA are probably only available at 25 degree celcius...in the sun you get easily surface temp of over 60 degree celcius and your current will drop to 150 mA or even less)...I use Q10...it can be charged with 500 mA  (standard USB power) but not below 450 mA...for Z10 i cannot tell, because we did not test so far...best way is to use a solar panel and a seperate powerbank (no integrated designs!) which is dedicated to be charged by solar power...then you can charge your phone from this powerbank...it works very stable and you avoid keeping your phone in the sun...temp is too high!  Smartphones will interrupt charging function at temp above 40 to 45 degree celcius...which means Smartphone must be in the shadow!  We offer direct charging function as well, but recommend this only when sun is stable and temperature is low (or cold wind) I do not want to make advertising for my product here...but it really works...:-) but the solar cells we use and the powerbank technology has its price...solar power is great but so far expansive if done in a good way and not as a product which just just wants to catch the "green marketing trend"... since 3 weeks i have charged my phone ONLY by solar power...we have a south sided window at our office and i charge every day my powerbank and at evening i charge my Q10 from there. So finally...it may work!  ;-) Outdoor i do have my solar bag...and collect the energy to safe inside the powerbank. But the solar panel can also be mounted on backpacks...and has better usability...and is cheaper!  ;-)

maybe i could keep your interest for solar power solutions...create energy...it makes fun...and probably provides a bit more liberty when using our daily electronic gadgets...and it is renewable energy!

best wishes from Vienna, Rafael

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

maybe it is better to use a "middleman" battery that will store the power from the solar cell, then deliver it at high Amperage to the smartphone?

This allows to prevent the heating, as well as delivering more Amperage/h.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: A1

Hi...we use the "middleman" battery...we call it "powerbank"...which is a rechargeable battery.  can be charged and discharged at same time and delivers up to 1A constant current and voltage of 5V. capacity can be up to 10 000mAh but we recommmend 3000 mAh...it works faster and can charge a smartphone at least one time and a tabelt PC approx 20 to 30% .

Best wishes, R.