Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Q5
My Carrier: Digi.Mobil

Unable to change APN

Hello,

On BB Q5 I have the following mobile operator: MCC 226 (Romania) MNC 05 (Digi.Mobil). The operator specifies the APN as "internet". (http://www.digicorp.ro/setari-apn-digi-mobil/)

My problem is that I am not able to change it. Whenever I enter the APN and save it, nothing happens and the APN text field is empty whenever I return to the APN settings. There is no default APN set up.

I have inserted my USIM card to a reader and research some pages of the 3gpp standard (or whatever its name is Smiley Happy ) I found 3 files which presumably defines the behavior of the APN settings:

In 0x6F38 (EF_UST) - Service No 35 (APN Control List) - Available

In 0x6F56 (EF_EST) - Service No 3 (APN Control List) - Not Activated

In 0x6F57 (EF_ACL) - the content is 00 FF FF FF ... FF and the length is 200 bytes, meaning that there is no APN in the list.

I thought that by having the PIN2 (thankfully they gave it to me) and changing the last two files (the security settings allows to change it with PIN2) would resolve it, but it seems that it is not.

Anyhow here is my new settings on the card:

For 0x6F56 I set the bit 3 to Activated

For 0x6F57 I inserted 01 47 07 (i) (n) (t) (e) (r) (n) (e) (t) FF FF FF FF FF FF....

I am sure this is not a good setting, but at least I tried it.

47 is the tag for APN, 07 is the length of the 'internet' ASCII string and (x) means the hex code for the x in ASCII.

I had another USIM from AT&T US bought with my iPad - if I insert that SIM into the phone the APN is 'phone' and I can't edit the fields: they are grayed out. I am not able to find where the heck is specified the text 'phone' on the SIM but maybe this can be a path to try out.

Please help - any advice can help to find the correct settings - either on the SIM or in the phone.

Thanks,

Les

Solutions: 6,396
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Unable to change APN

The ability of editing the APN is set by the mobile operator or network from which your inserted SIM governs.

In other words, your mobile provider may choose to lock that editing.

Some users have found the ability to force the edit using methods we don't discuss here in this forum, but you can find the solution at forums such as CrackBerry... look for escreen editing.

And, the warning: be careful. Editing the escreen can be tedious and dangerous with non-reversible repercussions to your hardware.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

My service provider wants to resolve my problem and they don't want to introduce any lock into the SIM card or network that blocks data service access. If there is anything that can be changed on my SIM please let me know.

If someone have access to the source code of BB 10 OS then it can be verified what information from the SIM card influences the APN setting behavior.

Thanks,

Les

No one here can recommend or advise on editing your SIM card. That's the job of your mobile provider.

I've given you the solution others have used. I'd recommend you follow that track.  Smiley Wink

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

OK, I try to use that feature again. Last time I went to general radio and used the APN textbox but it was never saved.

Fingers crossed Smiley Happy

Contributor

I have BlackBerry 10.2 OS and I am unable to enter escreen because the generated code is not accepted. I guess the generators available are not good for 10.2
I have read the majority if not all the APN related threads on crackberry and I have learnt that there are 2 problems users are facing:
1. There is an APN specified but editing is disabled.
2. There is no APN, but editing is enabled. In this case saving the APN is not working and there is no error message. Congrats to the developers Smiley Happy

I also learnt that entering escreen probably helps to resolve the first case but it is not helping for the users facing the second case. I was in the escreen when I had OS 10.1 and I can confirm the second affirmation: having an empty APN field I could not manage to be saved even from the escreen.

Note: how does it come that I should hack/crack to set up something so trivial setting as APN?

We, users of smartphones, can't highlight more enough that there are absolutely no problems setting up the correct APN on iPhone or Android.

I do can accept that there is something in my SIM that according to the 3G standard do not allow me to set up the APN provided by my service provider and that BlackBerry happily blocks me doing so and pointing towards my service provider and SIM. I don't precisely know the reason of BlackBerry doing this, but I guess it is related to its other businesses...
Having said that and reflecting on my recent and only experience with BlackBerry I am really forced changing to iPhone or Android and thanks to BlackBerry the cost will be doubled. This is not what I would like to see if I would be a BlackBerry investor.

When I decided to have a BlackBerry device because of its superior BB Hub I have seen a bunch of returned devices selling for 65% of the original price. I do now know the reason why and I am hitting my head in the wall because of my ignorance. I am going further with describing my struggles with BlackBerry: listening to my stories about this problems my wife said that she can understand if I throw my BlackBerry phone away to the trash and get an iPhone 5s and be happy and more time with my family instead of trying to resolve this fugly APN issue.

So BlackBerry, I invite you to transform my experience into something that I can enjoy.

Thanks,
Les

Did I mention

JSanders wrote:
we don't discuss here in this forum

You need to explore those options elsewhere.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

JSanders,

I can't follow you Smiley Happy

As I am advancing with my research I learn that the APN name doesn't come from the SIM but there is a database on the device that specifies the name or the names based on the mcc and mnc.
This is a link that points to a short and precise explanation http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/43865/where-do-apn-come-from

My service provider is a relatively new and small company compared to the 400 pound gorillas in mobile communication and I guess there is no entry in BlackBerry's APN database for mcc226 mnc05.
I think this is why my APN is empty.
Additionally I think that my SIM doesn't allow changing APN and this is why Saving is not working.

I believe a bug in the OS prevents correct handling of this situation and this is why I can type in the name and not save it.

I don't know whether this thread is read by any RIM rep. But if so, I would like this issue to be escalated to a higher level, where the problem can be understood.

Thanks,
Les

laszlobarta wrote:
I don't know whether this thread is read by any RIM rep. But if so, I would like this issue to be escalated to a higher level, where the problem can be understood.

This is a user-to-user community support forum. We are not RIM employees, but volunteers who enjoy assisting other users. RIM personnel rarely comment on queries posted here. You would have noticed this in the message upon registration.

laszlobarta wrote:

As I am advancing with my research I learn that the APN name doesn't come from the SIM but there is a database on the device that specifies the name or the names based on the mcc and mnc.
This is a link that points to a short and precise explanation http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/43865/where-do-apn-come-from

That doesn't apply here.

As stated, editing your escreen is not a topic discussed in this forum. Try CrackBerry. And good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

If RIM personnel is not involved in this forum then we can talk about anything and there is no difference between crackberry and blackberry forums. Even if we post the biggest secret, they will not read it Smiley Happy Right?

I prefer a solution in this forum.

If Android needs a database to define APNs for mcc mnc codes then BlackBerry needs one too. So what I posted do apply here.

Hope that some help will arrive soon. Up to now I got non-informations here.

Thanks,
Les