Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9300 Curve
My Carrier: RSA Vodacom
Accepted Solution

Updating to 10.2.1.2977 concerns

Hello

I have a few questions and concerns about doing my very first software update. I have a blackberry z10 that came with 10.2.1 out of the box and yesterday I received an notification to update to 10.2.1.2977.
So I went along to do it OTA but it says I need to do it using wifi, but I'm nowhere near wifi.

I want to update the software (82 MB) using BlackBerry Link, but I am afraid of getting my device bricked and making it unusable.

Can someone please tell me the whole process of doing a sofware update so I can be sure not to do anything bad? And will Blackberry link only do the update or reload the whole OS on the device?

Thank you very much!
Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Updating to 10.2.1.2977 concerns

[ Edited ]

The OTA update calls for a wifi connection because some upgrades can be 300-400 MB and users will find if performed with no wifi connection a huge data bill if they are on a limited mobile data plan.

I would always recommend first a backup using Link before any upgrade. And, personally I'd go with the OTA update over wifi if possible.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9300 Curve
My Carrier: RSA Vodacom

Thank you for replying.

It is not possible to do it OTA because my carrier has blocked it. I have used my friends wifi and everything went smooth.

Kind regards
Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Good deal.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code