Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, PlayBook 64 OS2.1
My Carrier: O2 UK

Re: What DAC is used in Z10? How does Z10 sounds like as a music player?

Agree on the bluetooth. I use QED uPlay with my Z10 and PlayBook. Sounds great through my old pioneer reference amp.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'LIKE' me if it makes sense...

PS. The BlackBerry Z10 & PlayBook rock with the QED uPlay!
New Contributor
My Device: Z10, Q5
My Carrier: T-Mobile CZ

Interesting topic, but I still haven't found the answer about DAC and internal AMP... ...well, there are 4 versions of Z10, those with LTE are utilizing Qualcomm chipset including DAC, but basic version (which I have) uses TI OMAP 4470 which doesn't include DAC. So there has to be implemented one - maybe the paired TI chipset TWL6041 as used in TI design documents. On GSM Arena (and almost anywhere else) there is no exact info which version of Z10 they've tested but surely not this one - the layout for SIM and SD card is different so they've got LTE version in hands.

Anyway, why to ask? I had very good experience with Samsung i560 (HW the same as i550, see pdadb.net, and used TI OMAP also) - the sound quality was fantastic, since Samsung bundled the same audio they delivered to Apple ;-) That's why the measurements of i550 on GSM Arena are so similar to Apple - and it's quite interesting to compare those 6-years old specs with nowadays phones!

Since than no phone matched that audio output until now Z10 (I specially disliked Samsung Wave). I have yet to compare with i560, since it is no longer in my possession. But sound of Z10 is excellent - I use it with Senn PX100 and now (since Christmas ;-) with Beyers DTX 501p. Neutron player helps somewhat, but maybe I will look to buy an external AMP - many times I run out of power and high level of output is no good since noise and distortions usually grow up.

Myrra

New Contributor
My Device: Z10, Q5
My Carrier: T-Mobile CZ

Well, I'll reply to myself... by coincidence I came across some datasheets, pretty internal to RIM, and for SLT 100-1 version, there is a Wolfson WM8915 Audio Codec. As for the other three versions of Z10, I didn't find any such component and I assume DAC is really integrated in Qualcomm chipset. Myrra