Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE
Accepted Solution

Wrong number in BB Protect record

[ Edited ]

Hi, looking at BlackBerry Protect, the phone details are listed and I think uneditable.

I transferred, through EE, my existing number onto a new EE contract sim, which came out of the box with another number. 

The number shown on the Protect record is probably that other number, certainly not my current one.

It doesn't ring out - just a dead line.

How do I change the BB Protect record's phone number please?

One more thing. BB Protect doesn't actually backup Contacts - right?

Thx

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Wrong number in BB Protect record

The record in Protect is captured from the SIM card itself registered in the Z10, can't be edited.

And no, currently on BB10 devices, Protect does not backup contacts. For now, I'd recommend a free app such as Intouch Contacts or PIM backup to do that, available in your AppWorld.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Thanks once again! That makes sense. Does it matter that the Protect recor has the worng phone nu ber for the phone SIM? The record's number doesn't ring - just gargles.

I'll look at the backup options, x.

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

It is strange. Is it just one digit off?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Thanks.

Now I know it's strange I'll try to find what that original SIM number was... back later...

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

If you open the phone app and go to either the Contacs or Calls tab on the bottom and then touch the middle of the screen and swipe down what phone number shows up? Also, go to the home screen, swipe down to go to Settings. Tap on About then change the category to Sim Card. What number shows up there?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

Ha! More genius. Yes both those worked and the number is what Protect has.

So I shall ask my carrier why it doesn't ring out.

Thanks for that, much appreciates, liked and solved...

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Have you tried rebooting the device?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Guru II

You can edit the phone number that shows there by going to Settings >Security and Privacy >Sim Card

Contributor

Hello again. Yes I have just rebooted the device on your suggestion. No difference.

If I call the SIM number, either from the phone or from the land line, I get a gargling noise.

If I call the phone using the number EE moved across, it works fine.

This might not be the phone's problem. It might be the carrier.

Any thoughts welcome though...!