Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

contacts - email groups

Where did email Groups go in Contacts?
It is. *awfully* tedious to manually select each recipient each time and not forget anyone for each email group that has been or will be established. If this was an oversight, it is a major one.
rabbitupnorth
Contributor

Re: contacts - email groups

Sorry, that's on OS10. I had email groups in my OS6 Contacts.
rabbitupnorth
Highlighted
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

currently the BlackBerry 10 OS does not support contacts grouping.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Regular Contributor
My Device: Passport SQW100-3 • Z10 STL100-3 • PlayBook 32G
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Contacts - email Groups

From what I understand Xandrex, this issue has not been escalated to BlackBerry support or marketing or programmers, I've been asking a few senior members to take this initiative, so perhaps you can please !!

As other BB members continue to mention throughout these forums, the "Groups" field or ("Categories" in Outlook) has been included in Pre OS10 BlackBerrys since as far back as I can remember. Please tell me that somebody at BlackBerry HQ has been made aware of the importance for this business feature !!?? Not only is it missing,  there's actually a bug...whenever I access or edit a contact from my Z10, and I have 1200 contacts, it actually pulls it out from it's respective "Category" in my MS Outlook and recategorises is it as "None".  Definitely not cool nor acceptable as this creates even more work, not less. 

Surely there's a way for you to get the attention of someone at BB that can make this wrong a right !!  Thank You / Merci. 
Guru I

Even Microsoft with their new outlook.com webmail have removed categories for contacts.

My opinion is that the professional companies that work with contacts will get rid of Categories, and replace them with something else.

And so Microsoft and BlackBerry will shift towards this new tidying method as soon as they decide what it will be.

From my point of view this is going to be very interesting, as interesting as the day Google chose to leave the folder paradigm for emails and replace them by tags.

But in the meantime, indeed someone used to manage categories will not be helped much.

Now, here is my personal opinion:

1) I do not think it is in BlackBerry's interest today to add the categories to the BlackBerry10 OS at this point in history.
Either they had included that feature from day1, or they continue not using it.

2) BlackBerry will obviously care more about their BES users (those who suffer the lack of Categories for contacts since the day they use BES10) than about you and me who simply use ActiveSync. And for those BES users, I believe that BlackBerry is thinking very hard on how to deliver the best service. Nevertheless the decision-makers at BlackBerry are aware that categories are not there anymore, and they are also aware of how many BES10 companies have reported that issue.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Regular Contributor
My Device: Passport SQW100-3 • Z10 STL100-3 • PlayBook 32G
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

Xandrex wrote:
Even Microsoft with their new outlook.com webmail have removed categories for contacts.

My opinion is that the professional companies that work with contacts will get rid of Categories, and replace them with something else.

And so Microsoft and BlackBerry will shift towards this new tidying method as soon as they decide what it will be.

From my point of view this is going to be very interesting, as interesting as the day Google chose to leave the folder paradigm for emails and replace them by tags.

But in the meantime, indeed someone used to manage categories will not be helped much.

Now, here is my personal opinion:

1) I do not think it is in BlackBerry's interest today to add the categories to the BlackBerry10 OS at this point in history.
Either they had included that feature from day1, or they continue not using it.

2) BlackBerry will obviously care more about their BES users (those who suffer the lack of Categories for contacts since the day they use BES10) than about you and me who simply use ActiveSync. And for those BES users, I believe that BlackBerry is thinking very hard on how to deliver the best service. Nevertheless the decision-makers at BlackBerry are aware that categories are not there anymore, and they are also aware of how many BES10 companies have reported that issue.

I agree with most of your points, especially regarding BES users, however my latest MS OUTLOOK 2012 still uses Categories and as said earlier, not only is Groups missing in OS10 (syncs with categories in Outlpok), whenever I access or edit a contact from my Z10, and I have 1200 contacts, it actually pulls it out from it's respective "Category" in my MS Outlook and recategorises it as "None".  Definitely not acceptable as this creates even more work, not less. 

Contributor

So what all this is saying is that if I want to send emails to a group of recipients, like members of the board, or members of a committee, I have to remember and re-enter each individual member of each specific group, each time I send out an email, using a manual list maintained outside my Z10, or I have to use a different device or program on my laptop, not my Z10, to send the emails, because the Z10 simply isn't up to the task that OS6 could do quite efficiently. That is a sad state of affairs. Feels like the upgrade to Z10 was a downgrade in capabilities and flexibility.
rabbitupnorth
Guru I

gliveron wrote:
however my latest MS OUTLOOK 2012 still uses Categories and as said earlier, not only is Groups missing in OS10 (syncs with categories in Outlpok), whenever I access or edit a contact from my Z10, and I have 1200 contacts, it actually pulls it out from it's respective "Category" in my MS Outlook and recategorises it as "None".  Definitely not acceptable as this creates even more work, not less. 

I don't know if you are talking of Outlook 2010 (which was released three years ago) or Outlook 2013 which was released in January.

Nevertheless even Outlook 2013 has started removing category features (the one-click category has disappeared).

That Outlook.com webmail is developed ahear of the Outlook PC client, so what you see on Outlook.com end up arriving on the client version. So if the categories disappear from Outlook.com , they will also from Outlook.

That being said, indeed a synchronization from BlackBerry to Outlook will always keep the least common denominator, so it is technically expected to have the categories go blank.

I do not use categories (I use folders in my Outlook Contacts), but if I were using them and a simple sync would empty them, I would be very angry too.

Guru I

rabbitupnorth wrote:
So what all this is saying is that if I want to send emails to a group of recipients, like members of the board, or members of a committee, I have to remember and re-enter each individual member of each specific group, each time I send out an email, using a manual list maintained outside my Z10, or I have to use a different device or program on my laptop, not my Z10, to send the emails, because the Z10 simply isn't up to the task that OS6 could do quite efficiently. That is a sad state of affairs. Feels like the upgrade to Z10 was a downgrade in capabilities and flexibility.

hello,

what you are asking for is not the contacts category, but a local mailing list.

Though this is not currently available in the email app on the Z10, you can also simply create a Remember item that contains a list of emails of the people in each of the mailing list.

For example is I have a beach soccer list, let's say johndoe@myexample.com and marywhite@myexample.com I would create a remember item that contains one line of text:

johndoe@myexample.com;marywhite@myexample.com

and then when I want to email them,I would open the remember item, copy the line, then paste it in the To: field of the email.

Of course, this is not practical, but this can help you for that specific issue until BlackBerry releases something better.

That being said, yes BlackBerry 10 misses some features that were available in OS5. I miss some too (like the advanced search in email), but my belief is that those missing features are mainly for power users.

Solutions: 6,397
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Gliveron, again. I've answered your question on whether this feature is on the road map, in two of your other threads.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code