Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

mass text reply issue. Please fix!

Whenever I'm part of a mass text, my replies go to each participant individually which breaks conversions and makes no sense. I love talking about what blackberry does better than other phones, buts it's super embarrassing whenever I can't reply to mass texts so that it actually posts to the group chat.

This only happens with sms, mms do post correctly to the group chat and not sent to each participant separately.
Please fix this in 10.3. Or at least if someone can explain what causes this.

Also still waiting on alt Delete for Q10 to delete whole words.

Thank you in advance
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: mass text reply issue. Please fix!

Group SMS is actually a very complicated thing. SMS was designed for very simple 1:1 conversations, not n:n. As it has evolved, many have tried to make it work for n:n, but with often with results such as you state. The challenge is that there are dependencies on the device(s) as well as the carrier(s) involved, and that makes it too complicated to actually be resolved, since it was never designed for such a purpose.

A much better solution is a platform that is actually intended for n:n conversations -- BBM Groups is perfect for that, is is also multi-platform now. I recommend that you investigate this for this purpose.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Is it possible send text as mms since mms works as intended for that purpose.

There is no effective alternative unless iphone and android phones come with bbm preinstalled. group text replies do work on those phones as well

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

d8699 wrote:

group text replies do work on those phones as well

Ummm...aren't you now contracting yourself? You are now saying that this function fails on other platforms as well...which is exactly why I responded the way I did (group SMS is contrary to it's original design considerations). I have never (repeat, never) been able to get group SMS to function correctly unless all members of the group are on exactly the same platform as well as exactly the same carrier, and even then it's not 100% (just more likely to succeed).

d8699 wrote:

There is no effective alternative unless iphone and android phones come with bbm preinstalled.

Really? Sorry, but that makes no sense. BBM is freely available to both iPhone and Android users here:

It would be a really really rare cooperation to convince Apple and the various Android sellers to include BBM pre-installed. Kind of like convincing Apple to allow FaceTime on other platforms...not terribly likely. BB has made BBM available, and any iPhone or Android user can get it (assuming they don't have something that restricts them, of course).

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

All I know is that just now I was sitting in a room with iphone 5 at&t and some kind of galaxy note on verizon and their replies post to group chat for all of the phones (including my q10) where my text replies show up in individual chats on their phones breaking our previous individual conversations.

For now I'll have to reply in memes to groups texts. I guess getting MMS to work n:n wasn't as complicated.

I hope this issue is fixed soon.
Hall of Famer III

I'm just not sure that anything is technically "broken", and hence nothing to "fix". Group SMS has never worked well, and I don't expect it ever shall.

Contributor

Totally wrong approach. It's broken in practice. To me as a consumer who feels alienated that's all that matters.
Hall of Famer III

OK, so let me get this right. You want to force a solution that is already being pushed beyond its original design constraints to function the way you want it to function. Further, you want to force that all of the parties involved (the carriers, the device manufacturers, the app developers) to all cooperate with you in forcing this already over-burdened methodology so as to make it do what you desire. All the while refusing to even look into viable alternatives that can solve the problem. Do I have that right?

In any event, here in a user-to-user community of volunteers, there's really nothing we can do about it, so this entire discussion is purely academic. Things are the way they are...no one here can change that.

Good luck.

Contributor

I don't really care how progress happens. I just noticed competitor phones perform this function better.

Is there a more appropriate place to submit feedback?
Hall of Famer III

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Social-Lounge/How-This-Site-and-Formal-Support-Work/td-p/2540...