Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Turkcell
Accepted Solution

only "3G" option. Why it has been removed?

Hi,

there was 3 option on my device in the past, like below;

2G

3G

2G & 3G

Now I have only below ones and it takes ages switching from 2G to 3G. It stays on 2G for a long time and changes to 3G.

But it was very fast in the past because I could force it to use 3G only.

BB Z10 has 1850 mAh battery and I have to use 2G to extend battery life.

Is that possible to request them to add this feature again? I don't know why they have removed it but it's non sense. Leave it there and I can choose whatever I want.

Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: only "3G" option. Why it has been removed?

BlackBerry did not remove it, those options for signal/radio choices are controlled by your mobile provider, in this case Turkcell.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

But I've lost settings after version update.

But if you say software update s are altered by providers, I can ask to them.

I did not say OS updates are altered by the provider.

The option you are inquiring about is controlled by the provider. It is not OS related.

You could take the same phone and put a Vodafone or Tmobile SIM card in and those options will change.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Carriers can tell BB that as of version X, we want these network settings to be disabled. That is likely what happened. BB merely programs it the way the carrier wants it. As Mr. Sanders pointed out, it's controlled by the sim card.

I have a Z30. It used to be on TMobile. I had all those options you describe. I was switched by my company to AT&T, using the same Z30, and now those options are gone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Unfortunately, my provider (Turkcell) stated that they don't have any control on it. They say these settings are configured by OS version but operators can't change it. Operator gives the service that has been requested by the device and if device tries to use 3G it offers 3G, if it tries to use 2G operator offers 2G service.

Also they stated device software that has been sent to Turkey is like that.

This is really strange. I'll try to check it with my sim card and a device, which is on the base version.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

That's what they say when you talk to a support person. That person has no idea what the engineers at Turkcell have sent to Blackberry for parameters of the Z10 device.

Yes, it is built in to the OS but based on the requirements that Turkcell has set. Nobody at Turkcell can turn it back on unless they send new engineering parameters to BB to change the OS.

It's done by BB at the request of Turkcell. Hope that makes sense.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Exactly.

And, to repeat, there is nothing you can do about it.

Knowledge Base Updates
Guru II

And nothing Turkcell can do about it. You're stuck with it that way.

New Contributor

Actually, I believe all the answers that you've given are correct but somehow Turkcell doesn't accept that.

So, I think the best thing is to select "there is nothing you can do about it." as an answer Smiley Happy

Thanks for your comments.