Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: edited

Re: several issues after last update 10.1.0.273

The issue here is that there are numerous concerns with OS10.1 in particular, and BlackBerry's response to the issue, as far as I can see from the posts here, has been to direct users to their own carriers. The fact that OS10.1 has issues which do not appear to be carrier-related and, more importantly, issues which are not present with other hardware (including Android and IOS devices) means that BlackBerry's silence risks turning current and potential customers away from them.

The Z10 itself is a decent phone. Flawed in certain respects, certainly, but for a first foray into a new OS on a totally different interface, it has many plus points. However, when the company ignores customers' legitimate complaints, they will lose customer loyalty, which cannot be their intention, surely?

I, for one, have had two instances in the past 3 weeks when the phone was unable to access my work email. The only solution to the first was to replace the actual handset with one that had not been upgraded to the new OS. The second instance fixed itself after 6 days. Through all of this, my iPhone worked perfectly. Not hard to guess which phone I now use regularly.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

irawlinson wrote:

The issue here is that there are numerous concerns with OS10.1 in particular, and BlackBerry's response to the issue, as far as I can see from the posts here, has been to direct users to their own carriers. The fact that OS10.1 has issues which do not appear to be carrier-related and, more importantly, issues which are not present with other hardware (including Android and IOS devices) means that BlackBerry's silence risks turning current and potential customers away from them.

hello,

I see. There are some things that you are not aware of.

Fist, if you read your carrier contract it is explicitely written, in the small prints, that your carrier is legally responsible for, and in charge of, all issues related to your BlackBerry device. This includes hardware failure, software failure as well as backing up the data on your personal computer.

This service is paid by you every month.

Second, the OS is designed by BlackBerry, then published to the carriers.

Then, each carrier will process that OS under a battery of Q&A testing, and at the same time train their hotline teams, and when each carrier is ready, they become responsible for it, and in charge of it, and finally publish the branded OS to their subscribers.

so any OS failure can be reported to the carrier hotline, it is their duty and if they are not able to solve your issue, they are supposed to contact the BlackBerry Level 2 escalation support team.

Demand for that support. They pay enough BlackBerry to get that support, just like you pay your carrier to get support.

irawlinson wrote:

I, for one, have had two instances in the past 3 weeks when the phone was unable to access my work email. The only solution to the first was to replace the actual handset with one that had not been upgraded to the new OS. The second instance fixed itself after 6 days. Through all of this, my iPhone worked perfectly. Not hard to guess which phone I now use regularly.

I can understand your conclusion.

Just remember that the iOS operating system was released in 2007. It has had nearly six years to get better, from the OS that could not make a copy paste and did not have an alarm clock, to the iOS6 version today.

On the other hand, the BlackBerry 10 OS is just 4 months old: contrary to popular belief, BlackBerry 10 is not an upgrade from BlackBerry 7, it is a completely new OS, just like the WindowsPhone OS.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for that. The frustration lies with the fact that the handset doesn't work. Whether the legal obligation for resolving the issue lies with BlackBerry or the carrier really isn't the issue here. What is the issue is that many people's Z10s around the world simply stopped working when BlackBerry issued an upgrade to their software. Whether this was due to a problem at carrier level, or a bug in the software is simply irrelevant to most people. If you want a working phone, buying a Z10 at this point in time, where there are known bugs in the OS seems like a leap of faith. And one which I would not recommend to anyone for whom the telephone is an essential business tool.

Therefore my point is that the issue, wherever the fault may lie, is causing problems to Z10 users, which in turn means that they are unhappy with their BlackBerry experience.

As a manufacturer of consumer devices, surely it is in BlackBerry's interests to manage the customer experience, and, when they can see that there are issues with their devices, to acknowledge the issues and commit to fixing them in as timely a manner as possible.

It has been three weeks since OS10.1.273 was released, and I have yet to hear that the specific issues - that Caldav does not work with the new OS, that certain Exchange servers cannot communicate with devices using 10.1.273, that Lotus Notes does not work with the OS, to name the three that I am aware of - have been resolved.

From a customer relationship point of view, this deafening silence on an official support board is quite astounding to me. Hiding behind user agreements which for the most part will not have been read in detail is no way to ensure long-term customer loyalty. I'm afraid that I have to compare my personal BlackBerry experience with my Apple experience, where Apple has repeatedly exceeded my expectations, in contrast to BlackBerry, where I feel let down. I recognise that this is only my own experience, but I still find the silence quite incomprehensible.

Guru I

well an Apple device and a BlackBerry device do not cost the same price.

BlackBerry focuses the customer relationship through twitter, the carrier support, and partially this peer-to-peer forum.

Apple focuses on :
- your wallet to provide Apple stores where you can find "Apple geniuses" (sic)
- fans who are so dedicated they could pay Apple to be allowed to provide support like on this forum, with a tag "genius".

From a customer point of view, both visions are acceptable, but one may prefer one or the other indeed.

Regarding the silence, I believe that BlackBerry is no worse than Google or Apple. It's not like this feature concerns more than 0.5% or Z10/Q10 users (I don't have any source for that number, just looking at how many MacOS friends I have who want a BlackBerry instead of iOS/Android).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Perhaps it has been partly my misunderstanding. I was under the impression that this forum was a technical support forum, not simply a peer to peer forum.

Agree that the price point for Apple devices is somewhat higher (though the difference between a Z10 and an iPhone is not all that great where I am based), and also that the "Genius" tag on their instore customer support team is pretty naff (last time I had an issue with an Apple device, the Genius in question admitted to being embarrassed by the title, because it set expectations so high). However, when someone fixes my problem free of charge, whatever his job title, I am inclined to look favourably on them.

As for the difference in pricepoint, BlackBerry historically have been business devices first and foremost, and that is the sole reason I have one. When a communication device is business critical, I expect to be able to have access to first class customer service, even if it be at a premium.

Anyway, my point is that I am a vocal dissatisfied customer, and BlackBerry doesn't seem to be hearing my voice. I assume it will get fixed in due course, and then I will go back to using the device. In the meantime, I will have very little positive to say about my own BlackBerry experience, and will not seek to use their devices in the future.

It's a personal experience, and perhaps not the same as everyone's, but mine (with the sole exception of the excellent customer service at BlackBerry Singapore) has been very poor.

Guru I

Hello irawlinson,

irawlinson wrote:

Perhaps it has been partly my misunderstanding. I was under the impression that this forum was a technical support forum, not simply a peer to peer forum.

I know, but look at the paragraph at the top of this page. This is a peer-to-peer forum.

irawlinson wrote:

Agree that the price point for Apple devices is somewhat higher (though the difference between a Z10 and an iPhone is not all that great where I am based), and also that the "Genius" tag on their instore customer support team is pretty naff (last time I had an issue with an Apple device, the Genius in question admitted to being embarrassed by the title, because it set expectations so high). However, when someone fixes my problem free of charge, whatever his job title, I am inclined to look favourably on them.

1) well in the United States, at Amazon, for the iPhone5 it is 699USD, and for the Z10 it is 579USD. 20% difference.

2) I was not commenting on the "Genius" title, it is the Apple world and pretty much everything is stupefactory in their naming Smiley Happy

3) the free support you get has already been paid by you (or by your carrier) when you buy the phone. The 20% above.

irawlinson wrote:

As for the difference in pricepoint, BlackBerry historically have been business devices first and foremost, and that is the sole reason I have one. When a communication device is business critical, I expect to be able to have access to first class customer service, even if it be at a premium.

Anyway, my point is that I am a vocal dissatisfied customer, and BlackBerry doesn't seem to be hearing my voice.

Indeed.

You get first class customer service when you do what is required to access it.

This means :

• contacting your carrier hotline and demanding to have your issue escalated to the BlackBerry Level 2 support team (= one on one support, by a BlackBerry Technical Expert) at no charge for you (it is already paid by your monthly carrier subscription fees)
  • buying a 50USD ticket (pay-per-incident support)
  • ask your company to buy a BlackBerry Enterprise Solution contract, which will grant your corporate IT to a BlackBerry Account Manager

If all you have done is tweet or write on this forum, then you will not get first class customer service.

If your carrier refuses to escalate your issue, demand it. You are the Customer.

My Device: BB Z10
My Carrier: Globe PH Local

UNABLE TO ACTIVATE DATA SERVICES WHEN IN 4G LOCATION, LTE IS USELESS, LATENCY WITH THE RESPONSE ON GESTURES WHEN SWIPING TO LEFT AND RIGHT ANYWHERE. CAN THIS BE ANY BETTER? I AM EXPECTING TOO MUCH. I WANT TO REVERT TO THE OLD SOFTWARE. WHAT'S GOING ON GUYS?
Contributor
My Device: None
My Carrier: GrameenPhone

LOL, no one is going to listen here, its not a BlackBerry official support forum. They're too wimpy to do so. I've gone through a hell for this idiotic so called "update", no one helped and all they could offer is "We can't do anything about this".

My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

This has got to be the worse software update in the history of software updates. My Z10 is now working like a snail. When you click on anything in the Hub it opens if it wants to. You have to wait patiently for apps to open. This update needs an update. I am about to give away my Z10.