Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Any impact on updating SQL and Java on BES server

Hi Experts,

We are using BES version 4.1.6 MR7 (Exchange 2003 environment). The BES database is installed on the same server and we are using MS SQL Server Desktop Engine (Version:8.00.761) for database and Java version installed are J2SE Run Time Environment 5.0 update 11 and Java 6 Update 2(version:1.6.0.20).

My question is that is there any impact if we update SQL and Java on BES server. Is there any possible threat of not updating it and if we update how will it impact BES database and Java function, as we are not updating BES version itself.

Kindly provide me the answers for the questions or doubts.

Thanks & Regards,

Venkat

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Any impact on updating SQL and Java on BES server

venkat2501 wrote:

Hi Experts,

We are using BES version 4.1.6 MR7 (Exchange 2003 environment). The BES database is installed on the same server and we are using MS SQL Server Desktop Engine (Version:8.00.761) for database and Java version installed are J2SE Run Time Environment 5.0 update 11 and Java 6 Update 2(version:1.6.0.20).

My question is that is there any impact if we update SQL and Java on BES server. Is there any possible threat of not updating it and if we update how will it impact BES database and Java function, as we are not updating BES version itself.

Kindly provide me the answers for the questions or doubts.

Thanks & Regards,

Venkat

there is no need to update them, in faxct updating java will break BES unless you make a few regedits.

If you need a newer version of SQL for something else then thats a diff story and there is usually no harm in doing so. Just turn off BES and make a backup on the database before you upgrade MSDE.

Java been updated?
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB14697

modify

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BAS-AS\Parameters\JVM Option Number 3

-Xmx1024m
by
-Xmx768m

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Highlighted
Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Is there something you are looking to get from the updates?

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Last time we had an issue with BES server, the CPU utilization was 100 and maximum cpu was utilized by Java services. Then we called RIM and they suggested to upgrade the Java to latest version.

Also we checked the SQL version in the server and found that we are using SQL MDSE version. We have the SQL 2005 software is available and planning to upgrade but before that we checking for the impact by ypgrading the applications.

If there will be no impcat the we are more than happy to upgarde but before that we want to the advantages and performance we will gain by upgarding.

Now the latest version of Java is version 6 update 21 and we are using version 6 update 2.

One more question, we have 10 blackberry and I checked the version on all BES servers and found that they are all with different version and we are planning to make a same version on each blackberry.

so, please advice on this.

Thanks in advance.

Venkat

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

uninstall MSDE and upgrade to 2005, that should be an easy one

if doing a remote SQL install then

KB03112 - How to move the BlackBerry Configuration Database to a new Microsoft SQL Server instance

you already have the link above for java fix when you upgrade.

For device OS, look at web desktop manager, desktop manager on user PC or look at how to use loader exe from the OS install files.

you didnt mention what OS they are on or the device type.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V