Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 8900 & PlayBook 64
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

Applying SP4 to BES 5.0.3 MR8 fails - on “Start Services” screen, where I got an “Error writing to database” error if either “Next” or “Start Services” selected

Exchange environment:

1. 30,000+ users on Exchange 2003 that is patched up to date.
  2. Running as Exchange forest. I.e. Email on one domain & users logon on to different domains, accessing the mailbox via associated logon permissions.

BlackBerry environment:

1. 3 VM servers running Windows Server 2008 Standard 32 bit SP2.
  2. Patched with Microsoft’s February 2013 patches.
  3. Built as per original BES 5 build specs for up to 2,000 users, with 1 central BES server (also hosting BAS), 1 MDS server (largely unused) & 1 SQL server (2008 v10.3.5500.0)
  4. MAPI 6.5.8244.0
  5.  “Programs and Features” reports BES level as 5.0.3 MR8 Bundle 256.
  6. BAS reports;
  • MDS Connection Service 5.0.3.123
  • BAS 5.0.2.28
  • Dispatcher 5.0.3.16
  • Policy Services 5.0.3
  • Logging 5.0.0
  • Controller 5.0.2
  • BlackBerry Mailbox Agent 1 - BESX Version 5.0.3.84
  1. Java 6 U24. Probably the root of the problem.
  2. Java file locations & Reg settings seem in line with KB25011.
  3. Jvm.dll located in C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\client

10. “BlackBerry MDS Connection Service” = “"C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\MDS\bin\bmds.exe" -s jvmpath="C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\client\jvm.dll" -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -Xss128K -Xmx768M -Xms128M classpathdir="C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\MDS\classpath\\" wrkdir="C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\MDS\Servers\Instance\\" webserverdir="C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\MDS\webserver\\" -rbes "GGC-BES-01_MDS-CS_1"”.

Previous BES update issues:

1. Issue with applying MR2 to installation of BlackBerry BES Exchange 5.03 MR1. It got to the end, then said it had failed. However, checking the installed version shows 5.0.3 MR2 (Bundle 53). KB02004 reg entries edited out for Server 2008. Other remedial work.
  2. Issue with applying BES 5.0.3 MR2. Says failed though reported back MR4 Bundle 107. Had BAS-AS & MDS issues (IPv6).

BES 5 SP4 attempt:

1. It wizzed through the initial settings, till the “Administration settings”, where I entered the new SSL certificate as required.
  2. Got to “Start Services”, where I got an “Error writing to database” error if either “Next” or “Start Services” selected.
  3. Got minimal windows log errors; “Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange. Product Version: 5.0.0041. Product Language: 1033. Installation success or error status: 0”. Could only find a BES for Domino SP4 issue relating to Java.
  4. Saved event logs & BES logs, though not sure where to start with BES logs.

I would really like to know how to clean up the BES & Java to get SP4 properly installed.

Suggested upgrade plan in line with KB17872 (VM snapshots in place):

1. Backup registry, especially Java.
  2. Stop all BES services, inc on MDS box.
  3. Uninstall Java.
  4. Should a cleanup of Java settings in the registry take place & if so, what?
  5. Perform BES 5 SP4 upgrade. As the upgrade has the Java 6_31 JDK & JRE, I assume it will install them.
  6. Re-boot
  7. Check new Java settings in registry.
  8. Test.
  9. Apply in similar manner to MDS box.

Thanks

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Applying SP4 to BES 5.0.3 MR8 fails - on “Start Services” screen, where I got an “Error writing to database” error if either “Next” or “Start Services” selected

if you think it is messed up, do a HA fail over to new hardware aka VM in your case, then do the upgrade after

How to migrate the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 to new hardware using the high availability feat...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Re: Applying SP4 to BES 5.0.3 MR8 fails - on “Start Services” screen, where I got an “Error writing to database” error if either “Next” or “Start Services” selected

Hi Knotty Rope,

Thanks for the reply.

We don't have a failover environment - just the 1 BES. I assume you mean somethiong like:
a) create a new VM BES, presumably with clean build patching & Java.
b) Add it to original BES in HA manner.
c) fail over to new BES.
d) remove old BES from HA
e) deactivate HA leaving BES on newly created VM BES patched to date.

Is that along the right lines? I can see docs for creating a HA but not ending it. Resources are very l;imited, so while we may be able to get a temp VM to facilitate a changeover, we wouldn't be able to keep 2 live.

2 SRP queries:
1) Our current SRP is an old, re-used v3.6 SRP with just the 7 digits after the "S". Has been working with this since the BES 5 was created, but will this have a negative impact on the system?
2) Looks like Iwe would not need 2 SRPs "The setup application assigns the SRP credentials of the primary BlackBerry Enterprise Server to the standby BlackBerry Enterprise Server automatically"

Thanks - John
New Contributor
My Device: Q10 - 9790
My Carrier: Turkcell

Did you check this KB26624 article ?

Contributor

Thanks Jack. The BlackBerry Expert Support Center has also suggested checking KB26624 out. Here is my response to them:

Current Java install:
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\client\jvm.dll = 6_24
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\security for the 2 .jar files

On BES C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\security
local_policy.jar has a MD5 hash of              53E2A50065AC6EA39CB2AA7D3975284B
US_export_policy.jar has a MD5 hash of    B94923AF60A5B4659A8DF2847FE1AB6D
These are the same files as supplied with BES 5.0.2, 5.0.3 & 5.0.4

On MDS C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\security
local_policy.jar has a MD5 hash of             2AF0175BAD9056CB16B2EC02A5660039
US_export_policy.jar has a MD5 hash of    DED8E98162E0E4E0126CA032855B7049
The jar files on the MDS had been the same as the BES till 24/6/2012, when Java was re-installed & this seems to have overwritten the current jar files with legacy files.
Jar files updated on the MDS box as of 19/03/2013 & MDS then re-booted.

Questions re KB26624-Workaround 1:
a) Workaround 1 discusses the removal of both Java & BES software from the BES, followed by a re-install. It seems a risky process, which would involve a lengthy outage for end users.
b) There are Java references throughout the registry. What would need cleaned up before a re-install?
c) Would the BES reinstall automatically pick up on databases & original policy settings on the separate SQL server?
e) Would all users need re-activated?

Re KB26624-Workaround 2:
f) Only an update on the main BES box was attempted, where the correct JAR files are in place.
g) The JAR files are located to comply with the path for Java 6_24, which differs from KB26624.
h) Does SP4 know about different Java install paths?
i) If the BES services were stopped & just Java removed, would the SP4 install 6_31 as it requires?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

JAbbott wrote:
Hi Knotty Rope,

Thanks for the reply.

We don't have a failover environment - just the 1 BES. I assume you mean somethiong like:
a) create a new VM BES, presumably with clean build patching & Java.
b) Add it to original BES in HA manner.
c) fail over to new BES.
d) remove old BES from HA
e) deactivate HA leaving BES on newly created VM BES patched to date.

Is that along the right lines? I can see docs for creating a HA but not ending it. Resources are very l;imited, so while we may be able to get a temp VM to facilitate a changeover, we wouldn't be able to keep 2 live. Wont have to keep both alive.

2 SRP queries:
1) Our current SRP is an old, re-used v3.6 SRP with just the 7 digits after the "S". Has been working with this since the BES 5 was created, but will this have a negative impact on the system? NO

2) Looks like Iwe would not need 2 SRPs "The setup application assigns the SRP credentials of the primary BlackBerry Enterprise Server to the standby BlackBerry Enterprise Server automatically" BES comes with HA and wont run both at same time in HA mode.

Thanks - John

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Guru III
My Device:

JAbbott wrote:

Thanks Jack. The BlackBerry Expert Support Center has also suggested checking KB26624 out. Here is my response to them:

Current Java install:
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\client\jvm.dll = 6_24
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\security for the 2 .jar files

On BES C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\security
local_policy.jar has a MD5 hash of              53E2A50065AC6EA39CB2AA7D3975284B
US_export_policy.jar has a MD5 hash of    B94923AF60A5B4659A8DF2847FE1AB6D
These are the same files as supplied with BES 5.0.2, 5.0.3 & 5.0.4

On MDS C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\security
local_policy.jar has a MD5 hash of             2AF0175BAD9056CB16B2EC02A5660039
US_export_policy.jar has a MD5 hash of    DED8E98162E0E4E0126CA032855B7049
The jar files on the MDS had been the same as the BES till 24/6/2012, when Java was re-installed & this seems to have overwritten the current jar files with legacy files.
Jar files updated on the MDS box as of 19/03/2013 & MDS then re-booted.

Questions re KB26624-Workaround 1:
a) Workaround 1 discusses the removal of both Java & BES software from the BES, followed by a re-install. It seems a risky process, which would involve a lengthy outage for end users.
b) There are Java references throughout the registry. What would need cleaned up before a re-install?
c) Would the BES reinstall automatically pick up on databases & original policy settings on the separate SQL server? YES
e) Would all users need re-activated? NO

Re KB26624-Workaround 2:
f) Only an update on the main BES box was attempted, where the correct JAR files are in place.
g) The JAR files are located to comply with the path for Java 6_24, which differs from KB26624.
h) Does SP4 know about different Java install paths? Never tried it
i) If the BES services were stopped & just Java removed, would the SP4 install 6_31 as it requires? Never tried it.

If botched that bad with java, best to do what i sujested prior. Should only take an hour to do.

Contributor

Knotty Rope - Thanks for your feedback to my various queries.

Our VM team have confirmed they have spare capacity to run with your HA suggestion, as it seems the cleanest solution with the minimal downtime to users.

Thanks for the KB22499 link (how to migrate to new hardware using High Availability). I missed it first time. It links to KB20515 for subsequent decommissioning of the problem node as well.

If we go down the HA route, can I install the new node up straight to SP4 (then MR2), even though the current primary node is SP3 MR8 (or at least "Programs and Features" says it is this!)?

John

Guru III
My Device:

JAbbott wrote:

Knotty Rope - Thanks for your feedback to my various queries.

Our VM team have confirmed they have spare capacity to run with your HA suggestion, as it seems the cleanest solution with the minimal downtime to users.

Thanks for the KB22499 link (how to migrate to new hardware using High Availability). I missed it first time. It links to KB20515 for subsequent decommissioning of the problem node as well.

If we go down the HA route, can I install the new node up straight to SP4 (then MR2), even though the current primary node is SP3 MR8 (or at least "Programs and Features" says it is this!)?

John

you have to use SP3 for the HA fail over, then you can remove old and upgrade the new VM

I did a database move and a HA failover last night. went from physical now to a virtual environment.

Contributor

Thanks.

Do you reckon it is safe to believe "Programs and Features" says when it says SP3 MR8 ? We had a couple of MRs that updated P&F despite saying the install had failed.

Lastly, one of your favourite topics "don't update Java" - I can understand why now! SP3 installs 6_18. Guessing it should not matter that the current BES is on 6_24, as local to that box?