Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

BB out of service

Hi All

Quick query -I had a user who was travelling on a train this morning and said her Blackberry device wasn't receiving any email, however she was able to send text messages and make phonecalls on it. The Battery on the device was fine.

Is there any explanation to this? Does the data use a seperate 'network' than the phone/sms?

Also - she says that she was able to connect her laptop to the WiFI on the train?

Any ideas?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BB out of service

Do a battery pull while the phone is on.

Then note what the signal type shows edge, EDGE, evdo, EVDO etc.

Bold usually means data.

Als have seen data plans removed from accounts for unknown reasons.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for responding...

The user is back in a city now and everything works fine, I was just trying to find an explanation as to why this happened?

I don't know much about mobile networks, so you'll have to bear with me Smiley Happy

Is it concievable for the phone/text part to be working, but the actual Blackberry email functionality not, due to service coverage? Or if the phone works, should the data part as well?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Phone / text are on same band.

Data side is on different band

So it is possible the phone/text works and no data, happens with data outages at times too.

Possible she has WIFI and it connected to it but could not browse?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Trusted Contributor

Thanks knottyrope....you don't know what those bands are called do you, so I can check on internet and read up on them?

Would you say that it's more likely for the data band to be out of service than the phone/text band? Is one type of band more restricted in terms of coverage than the other? For instance, if she was on a train in a remote area, the phone band would be weak but able to work, but the data band just too weak?

Guru III
My Device:

Knot knowing the bands

Voice always works but data can be spotty in some areas