Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

BES 4.1.6.9 Server move

Hello,

I'm in the process of developing a plan to move our Exchange 2003 and BES 4.1.6.9 server using MSDE as its DB, over to a new VM server. Software will be exactly the same. I've read through a couple other posts regarding the move and I have a couple followup questions.

I've been referencing KB10278 (How to Perform a knife-edge cutover for BES software), as most posts seem to recommend it. These are my questions:

1. In Task 3, does the backup of the active DB have any impact to the users or server?

2. In Task 4, why do I need to stop the BES services if I haven't even installed BES on the new server?

3. Task 6, by using the same server name, will it cause an issue since my new server is named differently?

Appreciate the help,

morjo619

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES 4.1.6.9 Server move

morjo619 wrote:

Hello,

I'm in the process of developing a plan to move our Exchange 2003 and BES 4.1.6.9 server using MSDE as its DB, over to a new VM server. Software will be exactly the same. I've read through a couple other posts regarding the move and I have a couple followup questions.

I've been referencing KB10278 (How to Perform a knife-edge cutover for BES software), as most posts seem to recommend it. These are my questions:

1. In Task 3, does the backup of the active DB have any impact to the users or server?  not really it is just backing it up

2. In Task 4, why do I need to stop the BES services if I haven't even installed BES on the new server?  You can not have two BES 4.1 servers with same SRP connected at the same time.

3. Task 6, by using the same server name, will it cause an issue since my new server is named differently?  It is referencing the BES server name. The windows name can be changed with no issue. Are you using MDS for apps?

Appreciate the help,

morjo619

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Thanks for the quick response. I don't believe that we're actually using MDS. I'm new to administering BES, but as far as I can tell, we're only seem to be using the basic email services. I just finished installing MSDE 2000a on the new server....how do I verify what the "Default instance" name is?

Appreciate that help,

morjo619

Contributor

My last question was a bit premature. The instructions tell you to type in "osql -E", which should drop you into the default instance, unless you have another named instance, then you would specify it. The instruction then tell you to run this command:

backup database <BlackBerry_Configuration_Database_name> to disk = "C:\<BlackBerry_Configuration_Database_name>.bak"

What is the configuration name to <BlackBerry_Configuration_Database_name>?

Thanks,

morjo619

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

usually besmgmt

I would get rid of MSDE and use SQL express 2005 instead.

And for backup of the database for SQL express I would use http://sqlbackupandftp.com/

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor

Ok, thanks. So, uninstall MSDE 2000a and install SQL Express 2005? Any issues with my old server being MSDE 2000a?

Regarding the backups, should I backup the old server using the instructions in the KB article? Or use the utility you recommended?

You've been very helpful!!!

-morjo619

Guru III
My Device:

morjo619 wrote:

Ok, thanks. So, uninstall MSDE 2000a and install SQL Express 2005? Any issues with my old server being MSDE 2000a?

Might be better to do MSDE to SQL first.

Regarding the backups, should I backup the old server using the instructions in the KB article? Or use the utility you recommended? . The utility is for future backups.

MSDE to SQL

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB03112

Once done life will be easier in the long run.

When using SSMS and log into it with BESAdmin during the restore.

You've been very helpful!!!

-morjo619

Contributor

Are there any issues with installing my AV softare on the new server prior to installing BES?

Guru III
My Device:

I run Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.4x with only AV and malware protection on it.

If you run a firewall on it it can be tricky with all the ports to the mailserver.

Some version have tamper protection which can wreak havoc on installs, best to turn it off while installing.

Contributor

Hello,

So I'm back on this project....is there anyway to have multiple servers online and share the licenses? I'm not really comfortable on doing the knife cut-over and taking all the BB users offline while I'd do the database migration. I'm just trying to find a way to be able migrate users at my leisure withoug having to take down the server all together.

Appreciate the help.

-morjo619