Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BES 5 - Upgrade to new hardware

Hi,

I want to upgrade to 5.0 as it get's released. I have bes 4.1.6 for exchange running on pretty old hardware and server 2003 r2 sp2.

I'd like to have a new machine (maybe two for high availability) with server 2008 64 bit.

Can I migrate without having to reactivate the bes users?

The database is already stored in a SQL 2005 Cluster.

Thank you for your help!

BES 5.0 for Exchange on Server 2003 R2 SP2, DB on SQL 2005 Cluster
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES 5 - Upgrade to new hardware

From the upgrade guide: 

Upgrading the BlackBerry Enterprise Server using the

cutover upgrade process and upgrade the existing

BlackBerry Configuration Database

Using the cutover upgrade process, you can install a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server on a new computer and move user accounts

and server information from a previous BlackBerry Enterprise Server to the new one.

When you use the cutover upgrade process, all BlackBerry devices receive new IT policies. BlackBerry devices that are running

BlackBerry® Device Software version 4.1 or later receive new service books and data synchronization occurs over the wireless

network.

If you upgrade the existing BlackBerry Configuration Database, you can move user accounts from the previous BlackBerry

Enterprise Server to the new one using the BlackBerry Administration Service.

Advantages of this upgrade process include:

• You can move user accounts back to the previous BlackBerry Enterprise Server if you experience issues with the new one.

• You can upgrade server hardware.

• Users experience minimal service interruptions because user accounts remain active on the previous BlackBerry Enterprise

Server until you start the new one.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900

Your setup should work fine. SQL 2005 cluster is the way to go anyway. I would build the new 5.0 server, and point it to a brand new database. 5.0 comes with a handy tool that allows you to move users from your old environment to your new one without having to reactive them... it all goes on behind the scenes to them.

Here is a link to RIM's 5.0 compatibility guide thingy:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/software/server_compatibility.jsp#tab_tab_compatibility

========================================
I take off my robe and wizard hat...
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

that does sound like a nice tool

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/7251/BlackBerry_Enterprise_Transporter_Release_Notes.pdf

Read all about it!

========================================
I take off my robe and wizard hat...
Contributor

Thanks, that sounds great!

Can someone tell me how many bes licenses / srp id's I need if want install two bes servers for HA?

The second server is standby, so I think one license would be enough.

Thanks!

BES 5.0 for Exchange on Server 2003 R2 SP2, DB on SQL 2005 Cluster
Guru III
My Device:

IIRC they are changeing licensing to make it so you can have HA with just one license.

knottyrope wrote:

From the upgrade guide: 

Upgrading the BlackBerry Enterprise Server using the

cutover upgrade process and upgrade the existing

BlackBerry Configuration Database

Using the cutover upgrade process, you can install a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server on a new computer and move user accounts

and server information from a previous BlackBerry Enterprise Server to the new one.

When you use the cutover upgrade process, all BlackBerry devices receive new IT policies. BlackBerry devices that are running

BlackBerry® Device Software version 4.1 or later receive new service books and data synchronization occurs over the wireless

network.

If you upgrade the existing BlackBerry Configuration Database, you can move user accounts from the previous BlackBerry

Enterprise Server to the new one using the BlackBerry Administration Service.

Advantages of this upgrade process include:

• You can move user accounts back to the previous BlackBerry Enterprise Server if you experience issues with the new one.

• You can upgrade server hardware.

• Users experience minimal service interruptions because user accounts remain active on the previous BlackBerry Enterprise

Server until you start the new one.

If someone could clarify whether or not the devices did actually have to reactivate using this process, that would be great. My problem is that farther down in the 5.0 Upgrade guide on page 44, it states:

"After you finish: After you complete the upgrade process, users must reactivate their BlackBerry devices. Instruct users to connect

their BlackBerry devices to the BlackBerry® Desktop Manager or BlackBerry® Web Desktop Manager to receive new SRP routing

and service name information."

I hope someone can provide some insight as I need to perform this upgrade as a cutover but don't want every one of my 400+ users to have to reactivate.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Guru III
My Device:

Start the new BlackBerry Enterprise Server

In the Windows® Services, start the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server services in the following order:

• BlackBerry Controller

• BlackBerry Router

• BlackBerry Dispatcher

• all remaining services

After you finish: After you complete the upgrade process, users must reactivate their BlackBerry devices. Instruct users to connect

their BlackBerry devices to the BlackBerry® Desktop Manager or BlackBerry® Web Desktop Manager to receive new SRP routing

and service name information.

This was from the manual and only in the move to a NEW BES server with a NEW database.

The cutover process does knot need to re activate.