Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
Accepted Solution

BES + Blackberry + Setting up outside email accounts...

Hi.

I realize that I can go to 'myserviceprovider.blackberry.com' and setup a new account using my PIN, which will allow me to enter personal email accounts (I.e., username@aol.com) and their passwords. I realize that email is then redirected to my device, and I can read those messages; HOWEVER, I am unable to reply to those messages.

Does the BlackBerry only allow notification of new email to private email accounts? It seems to me that you should be able to reply to your AOL email from your BlackBerry. Does something have to be done on the BES end to allow this?

Thanks for any advice.

Jonathan

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: BES + Blackberry + Setting up outside email accounts...

I know that you can be restricted from having personal accounts setup if you're on a BES. Haven't heard of a company from blocking sending out email though (although anything is possible).

I have me BES and personal accounts setup fine and they do not conflict with each other. Can you compose an email and send from your AOL account on the BlackBerry? Is the reply choice missing?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Sounds like you have to re-send your personal BIS service books

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Contributor

I accidentally accepted your reply as a solution. Sorry about that.

I am unable to compose an email from my AOL account on my Blackberry. The reply choise is missing. I wonder if this has to do with the service provider having our accounts setup as BES-only packages.

Contributor

I resent my personal service books from the BIS site, but received nothing. I may need to look at the global policy on our BES. This isn't really important, so I will probably let it die. I was just curious as to what setting, if any, would restrict/allow sending email from the Blackberry using a personal email account.
Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

I have the BES plan, and that plan incorporates the BIS features also. Did you also try to delete and re-add the AOL account back? Sometimes I've seen that if you setup the personal email first, it can affect how things normally work. So was your work email setup first, then your personal email afterwards? Another test may be if you try to add another personal email account to see if that account is going the same thing.

In any case let us know what you find out  Smiley Happy

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

There is an IT Policy setting under the Service Exclusivity Policy Group that may be the problem.  The option is "Allow Other Message Services".  If you have this set to False, then you are forcing all outbound messages through your BES and preventing users from sending outbound messages from other message services.

There is also a warning on the rule that states "This rule does not prevent users from receiving inbound messages from other message services."  That's probably why you are able to receive incoming from your external accounts, but not reply from them.

Hope this information was helpful.

-Chris

Contributor

THAT'S IT!!!! Thank you so much for your help! I copied the default policy and changed the value to 'default' and now I see an additional icon on my desktop that allows me to mail from my personal email account. I don't need this feature, but this will come in handy for the few employees that may be interested in using their own personal accounts.

Thank you so much ccal12!

Sincerely,

jonboy07