Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BES-Exchange study

[ Edited ]

Hi,

First of all, sorry but my English isn’t very good. I’ve to make a report about the viability of installing a BES in my company to manage the 11 BBs they have. They want all the services, full functionality. I am new at the company and this is the first time I’ve seen one of this devices, so they aren’t very familiar to me. I’ve been reading articles and forums for days, but I think I’m getting more confused. At this point, I think I need:  

Server 1:

Hardware: 

• >= PIV DUAL CORE 2GHz, 3GB RAM, 500 GB HDD (Something similar or better)

Software: 

• MS windows server 2003 (SP1, MSMQ, Framework 1.1, J2SE, JDBC, MDAC 2.8 SP2)
  • MS SQL Server 2005 (Can it been installed with the 2003 server? Or do I need to put it in another PC?)
  • MS Exchange 2003 
  • MS Live Comunications Server 2005 (Again, here or in another PC?) 

Server 2:

Hardware:

• >= PIV DUAL CORE 2GHz, 3GB RAM, 500 GB HDD  (Something similar or better)

Software: 

• Microsoft Exchange 2003 System Manager (I think it’s the manager remote console)
  • BES 4.1 con SP4 (With MDS service, attachment deliver service, router service and collaboration service)

User:

Software: 

• Windows XP (JDBC controller, Framework 1.1)
  • MS Outlook 2003 
  • Desktop Manager (To connect the BB to the PC) 

Other questions: 

-I think I need 11 licenses to manage the BBs with the BES, but I don’t know if I need another licenses to use other programs (Desktop Manager or another from Microsoft) or I’d use them just purchasing them from a local vendor.    

-I have read about issues I can suffer if I install MS Outlook in the same PC with BES or MS exchange, but, there are other known issues mixing the programs in the configurations I’ve described above?     

-Is this configuration OK or should I upgrade it to Exchange  2007/BES 4.1.3? I’ve been frightened about the number and complexity of the requirements. If somebody thinks I should, could explain the requirements in a scheme like this?       

-Do you think the scheme above is OK ? Have I forgotten something or there is something i don’t need?    

-They manage their mail by a SMTP server from the IIS provided by windows. They want to go on with this, and install a new MS exchange server, only to deal with the BES and the BBs. I’ve read they are compatible, is this true? 

I’m lost, so I accept any help/suggestion/review.  

Thanks to all who read and/or  answer this post.

Message Edited by Itulucas on 07-30-2008 06:43 AM
Highlighted
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Re: BES-Exchange study

First and foremost, download and read RIM's documentation .  4.1 SP6 is out.  Go with either that or 4.1 SP5 (and appropriate maintenance release)
 I wouldn't put SQL Server 2005 on the same server as Exchange.  What do you need SQL for?  What do you need LCS for?  Are you going to use a corporate IM client?
 How many total BlackBerry users are you looking to have going forward?  How many total email users are there now?
I've put comments in line with your questions below also.

Itulucas wrote:

Hi,

First of all, sorry but my English isn’t very good. I’ve to make a report about the viability of installing a BES in my company to manage the 11 BBs they have. They want all the services, full functionality. I am new at the company and this is the first time I’ve seen one of this devices, so they aren’t very familiar to me. I’ve been reading articles and forums for days, but I think I’m getting more confused. At this point, I think I need:  

Server 1:

Hardware: 

• >= PIV DUAL CORE 2GHz, 3GB RAM, 500 GB HDD (Something similar or better)

Software: 

• MS SQL Server 2005 (Can it been installed with the 2003 server? Or do I need to put it in another PC?)
  • MS Exchange 2003 
  • MS Live Comunications Server 2005 (Again, here or in another PC?) 

Server 2:

Hardware:

• >= PIV DUAL CORE 2GHz, 3GB RAM, 500 GB HDD  (Something similar or better)

Software: 

• Microsoft Exchange 2003 System Manager (I think it’s the manager remote console)
  • BES 4.1 con SP4 (With MDS service, attachment deliver service, router service and collaboration service)

User:

Software: 

• Windows XP (JDBC controller, Framework 1.1)
  • MS Outlook 2003 

Other questions: 

-I think I need 11 licenses to manage the BBs with the BES, but I don’t know if I need another licenses to use other programs (Desktop Manager or another from Microsoft) or I’d use them just purchasing them from a local vendor.    

>> Correct.  You don't need licenses for Deskop Manager.  And if you're using SQL just for BES, you can get by with MSDE / SQL Express for free.

-I have read about issues I can suffer if I install MS Outlook in the same PC with BES or MS exchange, but, there are other known issues mixing the programs in the configurations I’ve described above?

>> Do not install Outlook on the same operating system as Exchange 2003 or BES; MAPI / CDO issues with ensue.  Outlook can be installed on an Exchange 2007 server, but best practice recommends not installing client-side software on a server.

-Is this configuration OK or should I upgrade it to Exchange  2007/BES 4.1.3? I’ve been frightened about the number and complexity of the requirements. If somebody thinks I should, could explain the requirements in a scheme like this?       

>> Personally I'd go with Exchange 2007 SP1 and BES 4.1 SP6; it is the newest, it works well, and prevents you from needing to upgrade again in the future.

-Do you think the scheme above is OK ? Have I forgotten something or there is something i don’t need? 

>> Make sure you don't install MDS Services / MDS Integration Service if you don't need it.  With how you've explained what you're going to do and your knowledge of BES you're probably not going to need it.  You'll just need the MDS-CS (Connection Service).

-They manage their mail by a SMTP server from the IIS provided by windows. They want to go on with this, and install a new MS exchange server, only to deal with the BES and the BBs. I’ve read they are compatible, is this true? 

>>I don't quite understand what you're asking here.  When you install Exchange the SMTP server is a part of the pre-req's for install.  You can continue to use this; but SMTP is a server delivery protocol, not a client to client delivery protocol.

I’m lost, so I accept any help/suggestion/review.  

Thanks to all who read and/or  answer this post.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
New Contributor

Hi, 

Thanks for reading my huge post and for answering so fast.

I know there are some things here that couldn't be useful, but the study they have asked for, need to be complete, and it has to consider the possibility of use all the functions that BES can support.

There are 11 BBs, and i believe the max number they could reach in a couple of years, could be 50. About the email users, they are near 120, but what i tried to explain, is that this exchange server is only to admin the BlackBerry accounts, in order to can use the BES services. Now, we don't have an exchange server to manage our mail, and if it could be possible, we want maintain this.

I think I’ll make the study about Exchange 2007 SP1/BES 4.1 SP6, so i have done the same scheme: 

Server 1: 

Hardware:

• >= PIV C2D 64 2GHz, 3GB RAM, 500 GB HDD (Something similar or better)

Software:

• MS SQL Server 2005 x64 (Better in another server)
  • MS Exchange 2007  SP1
  • MS Live Comunications Server 2005 SP1/ Communications server 2007
  • MS windows server 2003 R2 con SP2 Enterprise x64 (SP2, MUI, Frameworks 2.0, W Power Shell 1.0, MMC 3.0, ISS, MDAC 2.8.2) 

Server 2:

Hardware:

• >= PIV C2D 64 2GHz, 3GB RAM, 500 GB HDD  (Something similar or better)

Software: 

• Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI client and CDO1.2.1
  • BES 4.1 con SP6 (With MDS service, attachment deliver service, router service and collaboration service)
  • MS windows server 2003 R2 con SP2 Enterprise x64 (SP2, MUI, Frameworks 2.0, W Power Shell 1.0, MMC 3.0, ISS, MDAC 2.8.2)  

User:

Software: 

• Windows XP
  • MS Outlook 2003

As i said in the other post, the info about this configuration is harder to understand by me, so if someone has done something similar and could confirm that this could work, i'd be thankfull.

I'm going on accepting any help/suggestion/review. Smiley Happy

Forums Veteran II

So you're building exchange purely for BlackBerry users?

Why don't you look to a hosted solution to provide this?  The software / hardware / management costs will be much less than the investment of what you're looking to do.

Why are you installing LCS/OCS?  Is this a requirement of the organization?

You also need domain controllers ... I'm assuming you don't have a windows domain here.

I would highly recommend calling RIM or a third party partner of theirs and engage professional services to help you assess your needs and build you the proper setup.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]
Yes, it’s OK. They only want the exchange server to support the BES services.

The company is using a hosted solution, this is the reason they want to get a study. They want to consider the availability of all the services that BES can support (this is the reason why I've included LCS or OCS, to can afford the collaboration services).

I'm not going to manage or install the system, but I need to know what we need in order to get an estimate, so this is why I'm asking about the servers configuration. 

We have three headquarters at different cities, and there is a DC in every headquarter.

Thanks.

Message Edited by Itulucas on 07-31-2008 03:04 AM
Forums Veteran II

Ok ... so you're putting together a solution that includes everything but don't know if they need / want all of them?

I would think the #1 thing to do is come up with a list of requirements.  If LCS / OCS is required, put it on its own server; where it belongs.

New Contributor

Exactly.

I've been searching and i've realized that  OCS/LCS need a SQL database installed physically in another server so if you say that OCS/LCS too, I think I need at least 3 servers:  SQL and BES(S1), OCS/LCS (S2) and Exch (S3).

Do you know if I can combine them in two: SQL and BES (S1) - OCS/LCS and Exch (S2)  ||  SQL and Exch (S1) – BES and OCS/LCS (S2) ?

There are few users, so the hardware requirements aren’t so high.

Forums Veteran II

Yes this can be done; it wouldn't be best practice, but it can be done.

You really need to figure out the requirements before you design an infrastructure ...

New Contributor

Ok, you have helped me to solve this problem. I'll consider your advice.

Thanks a lot.