Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BES Questions...

My boss has asked me to investigate setting up a BlackberryEnterpriseForExchange server, with the concurrent purchase of 20-30 Blackberry units, for some of our engineers/senior managers. In light of this, I have a couple of questions:

1. We are currently still on Exchange 5.5, but will be migrating to Exchange 2003 in the next month or so, with the new

Exchange server being a dual core Xeon (3.0Ghz/8GB ram). Can we run the BES on the same box as Exchange? Any serious issues with doing so?

2. Since we are a gov contractor, we cannot have PDA/Smartphones with any kind of camera. My research shows that the 8820 appears to be the only model that comes w/o a camera. We'd like a better choice of units if possible...

Thanks in advance,

Dave Frandin

Stoller-Navarro/DOE

dave.frandin@nv.doe.gov

New Contributor
My Device: 8800

Re: BES Questions...

1)   Depending on the total users BES and want they use their devices for BES can be CPU intensive.  That sounds like a powerful machine.  Yes BES can run on the same box.  To answer your question how loaded is the exchange server? How many users?

2)   The IT policy on a BES activated device can lock down the camera so it can't be used.  So in theory you could use all the devices, would that pass the limitations if you lock down the camera?  Other devices without cameras include the 8700.  Camera whilst is a novelty for most, people expect them on phones, most of the newly launched devices will likely have cameras.  Seems to becoming a standard feature like MP3 or video playback.

never fear Terror is here ...
New Contributor

Hi! Thanks for the reply... The Exchange server will have about 200 users on it. As of right now, we only see about 20-30 people using the BES. I'm pretty sure we're only gonna do email on it.. Am meeting with boss tommorrow, and will get a read on that.. I don't think that number is going to grow too much as our budgets for new stuff is pretty tight right now.. The people getting the BB's are senior managers and several project managers that spend more time in the field than in the office. As for the ability to disable the camera, I'll have to check on that.. We went thru the same "fun" trying to get a model of cellphone for everyone else that didnt have a camera.. its getting near impossible... Anyway, I'll check and post back if thats allowable..

Thanks again..

Dave Frandin

Stoller-Navarro/DOE

dave.frandin@nv.doe.gov

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

dfrandin wrote:
2. Since we are a gov contractor, we cannot have PDA/Smartphones with any kind of camera. My research shows that the 8820 appears to be the only model that comes w/o a camera. We'd like a better choice of units if possible...

the 8820 has good battery life, but no spellchecker. the keyboard is not as usable as on the Bold or the 8300. the 8820 is quite big compared to the 8300.
The Bold has a much larger screen.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

I've put my responses in line with your questions ...

1. We are currently still on Exchange 5.5, but will be migrating to Exchange 2003 in the next month or so, with the new

Exchange server being a dual core Xeon (3.0Ghz/8GB ram). Can we run the BES on the same box as Exchange? Any serious issues with doing so?

You REALLY should rethink moving to Exchange 2003 and look to move to Exchange 2007.  Unless there is some business need preventing you from doing so, Exchange 2007 is the way to go from a functionality, supportability, and well ... to help future-proof what you're building.

Anything more than 4GB of RAM on the Exchange 2003 server will be a waste.  The RAM will not be used by Exchange.  At most, even with the /3GB boot switch Exchange can use up to 3GB of memory.  The OS won't natively address more than 4GB of RAM; and even if you use PAE, you're not going to get any benefit at all.

Putting BES on this box doesn't change the scenario much.  That 3GB of addressable memory space is then shared between Exchange and BES (along with any other user level apps running on that server).

This all changes with Exchange 2007; as you install it on an x64 platform, and Exchange 2007 will effectively utilize up to 32GB of RAM.  While BES is still a 32-bit app, you *could* install it on the same server; but I wouldn't recommend it.  BES is not meant to be installed onan Exchange Server; BPS is ... but it is limited. Technically, will BES run on the same server instead of a BPS server; yes.  I wouldn't ever do it (outside of a test / demo lab) as it is against best practice ... oh and good luck getting support from RIM / Microsoft when there is a problem with either one.  You may have to deal with some finger pointing.

Many devices come without cameras ... RIM has a great page to Compare BlackBerry Devices.

That said, look through the BES Policy Reference Guide, which'll explain how to prevent camera usage on any device on your BES.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
New Contributor

AndyDufresne wrote:

I've put my responses in line with your questions ...

You REALLY should rethink moving to Exchange 2003 and look to move to Exchange 2007.  Unless there is some business need preventing you from doing so, Exchange 2007 is the way to go from a functionality, supportability, and well ... to help future-proof what you're building.

Anything more than 4GB of RAM on the Exchange 2003 server will be a waste.  The RAM will not be used by Exchange.  At most, even with the /3GB boot switch Exchange can use up to 3GB of memory.  The OS won't natively address more than 4GB of RAM; and even if you use PAE, you're not going to get any benefit at all.

Putting BES on this box doesn't change the scenario much.  That 3GB of addressable memory space is then shared between Exchange and BES (along with any other user level apps running on that server).

This all changes with Exchange 2007; as you install it on an x64 platform, and Exchange 2007 will effectively utilize up to 32GB of RAM.  While BES is still a 32-bit app, you *could* install it on the same server; but I wouldn't recommend it.  BES is not meant to be installed onan Exchange Server; BPS is ... but it is limited. Technically, will BES run on the same server instead of a BPS server; yes.  I wouldn't ever do it (outside of a test / demo lab) as it is against best practice ... oh and good luck getting support from RIM / Microsoft when there is a problem with either one.  You may have to deal with some finger pointing.

Many devices come without cameras ... RIM has a great page to Compare BlackBerry Devices.

That said, look through the BES Policy Reference Guide, which'll explain how to prevent camera usage on any device on your BES.

Thanks to everyone who posted.. I agree on the Exchange 2007 vs Exchange 2003, but that's not my department.. We're pretty firmly entrenched into going with Exchange 2003.. A bit more data-gathering on my part found that, when I was looking for pricing on the BB units, and plan costs thru the carrier we use (Cingular/ATT) for our current cellphones, our phone manager advised me that we're required to get units (cellphone AND Blackberry) thru the goverment support contractor who handles all phone/cellphone/telecomm issues for our company and other DOE contractors in the Las Vegas area. The manager advised me that the only units available for our use are the 8820 and another one which have no camera installed.. Apparently the IT policy disablement for cameras is not sufficient for our use...

Thanks again..

Dave Frandin

Highlighted
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

I agree on the Exchange 2007 vs Exchange 2003, but that's not my department.. We're pretty firmly entrenched into going with Exchange 2003.

That is disappointing; sounds like a poor business decision being made.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/