Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

My Device: Not Specified

BES & Groupwise 7.0.3 causing lock of user database

We have a new BES server (running 4.1 SP6) that is connected to a GroupWise 7.0.3 server running on Netware 6.5.  The GroupWise client running on the BES server is 7.03 HP5, so it has the latest API fix from Novell.  There are about 4 users that are on the BES server right now.  We are having a problem with a couple of them, and both of the problem users are heavier email users.  One of them is the heaviest email user in the organization, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this issue.

We are seeing a problem where the user will notice in the morning that they have no emails on the BlackBerry.  They try to log into GroupWise and are unable to.  On the server side of things we see errors in the POA logs that indicate the user database has errors.  Here is a snapshot of some of the errors when this start happening:

22:20:26 348 The database facility reported error [C022] on user5l1.db
22:20:26 348 Error: Data in the database is invalid [C022] User:USERNAME    App( RIM BES )
22:20:28 348 *** NEW APP CONNECTION, Tbl Entry=10, Check ID=1261713971
22:20:28 348 C/S Login Windows  ::GW Id=USERNAME :: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Trusted App=RIM BES
22:20:28 348 The database facility reported error [C022] on user5l1.db
22:20:28 348 Error: Data in the database is invalid [C022] User:USERNAME    App( RIM BES )
22:20:28 348 *** APP DISCONNECTED, Tbl Entry=10, Check ID=1261713971
22:21:28 348 *** NEW APP CONNECTION, Tbl Entry=10, Check ID=1261713972
22:21:28 348 C/S Login Windows  ::GW Id=USERNAME :: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Trusted App=RIM BES
22:21:28 348 The database facility reported error [C022] on user5l1.db
22:21:28 348 Error: Data in the database is invalid [C022] User:USERNAME    App( RIM BES )

where user5l1.db is the heavy email user's database.  The "The database facility reported error [C022] on user5l1.db" keeps repeating itself in the logs after that.  GroupWise tries to repair the database during its normal routines but it reports that the database is locked and it cannot repair it.  The only fix we have found so far is to reboot the GroupWise server, and the database is automatically repaired after the POA starts.  That reboot must break whatever lock is happening but we can't determine where that lock is coming from.

This problem started shortly after we put the BES server in, so signs point to it.  We were using the SOAP connector in the BES configuration but I changed that to the OAPI last night after finding some people reporting SOAP problems with GroupWise in other situations.  Last night the mailbox did not lock up, but it doesn't happen every night so I'm not sure if that is a fix or not.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or have anything to suggest?

Thanks!

-Conor

Highlighted
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BES & Groupwise 7.0.3 causing lock of user database

I haven't had this problem but what I usually get locks from is backup software. You can check what could be locking up the database by loading monitor, and going to "file open/lock activity" and browsing to the database file in question.

Victor