Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BES and Internet access

I have a question about how BES handles internet access. 

BACKGROUND: we're using an older BES version (3.6.x)...with plans to upgrade to 4.1.x in the future.

For now, when one of our BlackBerry users accesses a site (www.google.com for instance), does that request get routed *thru* BES?  Or does the request to google get served without any BES interaction?

I heard 3.8.x and above allow direct access...but I don't know if that means Operating System 3.8.x on the device allows it...versus BES version 3.8.x allowing direct access.

Hope this makes sense - let me know if I should clarify further. 

Thank you for any help.

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Re: BES and Internet access

nespa wrote:

I have a question about how BES handles internet access. 

BACKGROUND: we're using an older BES version (3.6.x)...with plans to upgrade to 4.1.x in the future.

For now, when one of our BlackBerry users accesses a site (www.google.com for instance), does that request get routed *thru* BES?  Or does the request to google get served without any BES interaction?

>> It goes through the BES.

I heard 3.8.x and above allow direct access...but I don't know if that means Operating System 3.8.x on the device allows it...versus BES version 3.8.x allowing direct access.

>> Correct, BlackBerry handheld OS starting at 3.8 allows direct access tas to not go through the BES / MDS if desired / allowed.

Hope this makes sense - let me know if I should clarify further. 

Thank you for any help.

Upgrade to 4.1 ... quickly Smiley Happy

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Andy - thanks for the timely response.   

So, to confirm:  if our users show 4.2.2.xxx as their OS on their BlackBerries (which I just double-checked), they will be connecting directly to www.google.com *without* BES, even though our BES is v. 3.6.

If I may clarify one more point:  If BES is down (maintenance, etc.) then the users will not be able to be initially authenticated (hope I'm explaining correctly), and will be denied access to google - is that correct?   But assuming BES is up & running, users will first be authenticated / known users on our domain and will then be able to connect to google directly.

I'm just trying to make sure I understand the flow of device > BES > app server as clearly as possible, and the dependency an app server has on BES.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

[ Edited ]

nespa wrote:

Andy - thanks for the timely response.   

So, to confirm:  if our users show 4.2.2.xxx as their OS on their BlackBerries (which I just double-checked), they will be connecting directly to www.google.com *without* BES, even though our BES is v. 3.6.

>> IFF they use the BIS connection they'll connect without BES. The HH will be able to handle either a connection through the BES, or through BIS (carrier)

If I may clarify one more point:  If BES is down (maintenance, etc.) then the users will not be able to be initially authenticated (hope I'm explaining correctly), and will be denied access to google - is that correct?   But assuming BES is up & running, users will first be authenticated / known users on our domain and will then be able to connect to google directly.

>> There is no authentication process that the user has to go through; the device / server / network handle all this behind the scenes ... so not sure what you mean. The browser on the HH will be configured to use either BES or BIS as a default transport, if one isn't working (such as BES) they could reconfigure it to use the direct carrier connection.

I'm just trying to make sure I understand the flow of device > BES > app server as clearly as possible, and the dependency an app server has on BES.

Thanks!

Message Edited by AndyDufresne on 09-02-2008 09:31 PM
------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/