Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BES frontend

Hello all,

For several weeks some of my users have been experiencing delays in receiving email on their bb's. Our Exchange server is located in Montreal and our BES in Calirfornia with abouth 75ms latency between the 2. From what I understand, 30-35ms is the maximum latency suggested by RIM.

I am thinking of installing a front end bes in Montreal, (at RIM's suggestion), but I cannot seem to find any documentation on how to go about this. Can someone point me in the right direction? Also, I am under the impression that this should not affect my licensing in any way, all licenses will remain on the server in CA please confirm 

I am running BES 4.1.6 and MSSQL 2000

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Elliot

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES frontend

Why knot move the BES there?

How many users?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

We have users in both Montreal and California, the bes is at our data center in CA.

about 15 users in Montreal, 40 in CA, 2 different Exchange servers (1 at each local site),

Elliot

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

OK now I have a better picture. Is SQL clustered between both sites?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor

No, please see info below; 

Data center is in San Jose 

Exchange frontend at data center

MSSQL 2000 at data center

BES at data center

Exchange backend in Montreal (local)

Exchange backend in California (office in Redwood City) (local)

Guru III
My Device:

I have looked around a bit and can knot find info on a front end BES either.

I have come up with a few choices unless you can get a hold of that person for more info.

1. Install a second BES running MSDE at Montreal Site (cost of new SRP and expensive)

2. Install BPS on exchange for free at Montreal and get 5 more CALS for 500.00 for it (no HTML and a few other features lost)

3. Move the 5 BES mailboxes over to the US and use RPC-HTTPS for Outlook (my UK users have no issues with it and their 140ms+ lag)

Highlighted
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

egozansky wrote:

Hello all,

For several weeks some of my users have been experiencing delays in receiving email on their bb's. Our Exchange server is located in Montreal and our BES in Calirfornia with abouth 75ms latency between the 2. From what I understand, 30-35ms is the maximum latency suggested by RIM.

I am thinking of installing a front end bes in Montreal, (at RIM's suggestion), but I cannot seem to find any documentation on how to go about this. Can someone point me in the right direction? Also, I am under the impression that this should not affect my licensing in any way, all licenses will remain on the server in CA please confirm 

I am running BES 4.1.6 and MSSQL 2000

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Elliot

If you can't get the latency issues resolved install another BES in Montreal.  There is no such thing as a "Front End BES".  The 75ms latency is fine from the SQL perspective, and this way you can share the same configuration database.  Also, create another BESAdmin account for your Montreal users with that users mailbox based on the Montreal Exchange Server.  If / when you move users or have a BES failure you can simply drag / drop between them to at least keep services provided ... granted latency may be a bigger issue at that point ... but it gives you options

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/