Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BES issues when migrating Exchange 2003 to new hardware

Hello all,

I am new to Blackberry Enterprise Server as it was installed in our domain by a previous network admin 5-6 yrs ago. The BES server is working fine; we are on BES 4.1.4 and have about 25 active users. The Exchange server is Exchange 2003 Ent. 

We are planning to migrate the Exchange server to different hardware shortly, mainly because the current server has started experiencing performance bottlenecks (its about 5-6 yrs old too). I am not exactly sure how BES will react after the migration. The new Exchange server will have the exact same name and IP address as the current one (I am following http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997176(EXCHG.65).aspx, and a couple of other similar blogs/forums on the internet).

What changes/settings do I need to check/modify on the BES server!?  Will BES "just work fine" after Exchange is migrated!?  I noticed a "beremote.exe" process running on the current Exchange server in Task Manager.  Does this have to be installed somehow on the new Exch server..?!  how?

Any help/guidance will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks a lot for all your help in advance!

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Re: BES issues when migrating Exchange 2003 to new hardware

[ Edited ]

http://searchtasks.answersthatwork.com/tasklist.php?File=Beremote this is what that beremote.exe" is. not a requirement for BES.

make sure to perform brick level migration, meaning everything in a mailbox should move to new machine including any hidden folders (BES creates 2 hideen folders on BB users mailbox). after EXCH  migration just reboot BES, thats all Smiley Happy

Also make sure the BB service account (besadmin) permissions are present on exch server after migration ( technically permissions shouldn't change)

www.blackberry.com/btsc/kb02276   steps 3 to 5

Message Edited by BBsingh on 10-24-2008 07:52 PM
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
New Contributor

Hii BBsingh.. Thanks for your reply.

Yep.. we are using Backeup exec.. the beremote.exe is the BE agent! Dont know how this slipped my mind.

I am not doing a brick level migration.  As outlined in the MS article mentioned in my post, the entire information store will be backed up and restored to the new server. The new server nameand IP  is going to be the same as the current server.  will BES just continue working in this case!!?  I will of course restart the server, and maybe will have to re-establish the MAPI profile. Will make sure of the permissions too. But other than that, is there anything else that needs to be done!?

Thanks again for your help.

VS.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

nothing needs to be done other than a reboot, or mere restart of BB services might do the trick. try it first b4 reboot
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9000

Make sure you make the appropriate changes to the MAPI profile (i.e. pointing to the new the server) before restarting the server.
WhackBerry_
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Appreciate your help, BBsingh and wusmani! The more I am thinking of the new Exchange server design and future growth, the more it seems I should probably go for a front-end / back-end configuration.  We already have a pretty loaded Exchange server; mailboxes about 225, with sizes from 300 MB - 6 GB, majority of them being from 300 MB - 1 GB. The Info Store is 85 GB.  Plus, we also have OWA (on SSL), Blackberry's (about 25) and iPHone's on ActiveSync (about 10) all connecting to one Exchange box.

Any sugestions on this..!? HOw would BES integrate in a front-end / back-end config, in case we end up going that route?!

Thanks a lot, again.

VS.

Message Edited by svinay23 on 10-26-2008 04:32 AM
Message Edited by svinay23 on 10-26-2008 04:33 AM
Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9000

The BES would still be pointing to the backend server. The front-end is only used for authenticating external connections (OWA); while the mailboxes are stored at the backend and the BES only communicates with the backend. Thus, I don't see how the backend-front end architecture would help.

The following link provides benchmarking techniques for the performance of a BES: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/3532/Performance_Benchmarking_Guide.pdf

WhackBerry_
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

svinay23 wrote:

Appreciate your help, BBsingh and wusmani! The more I am thinking of the new Exchange server design and future growth, the more it seems I should probably go for a front-end / back-end configuration.  We already have a pretty loaded Exchange server; mailboxes about 225, with sizes from 300 MB - 6 GB, majority of them being from 300 MB - 1 GB. The Info Store is 85 GB.  Plus, we also have OWA (on SSL), Blackberry's (about 25) and iPHone's on ActiveSync (about 10) all connecting to one Exchange box.

Any sugestions on this..!? HOw would BES integrate in a front-end / back-end config, in case we end up going that route?!

Thanks a lot, again.

VS.

Message Edited by svinay23 on 10-26-2008 04:32 AM
Message Edited by svinay23 on 10-26-2008 04:33 AM

You should also look to breaking up your information store to multiple stores ... unless you're comfortable restoring an 85GB database if there is a problem.  Even though MS says 200GB for a limit ... I'm still a fan of < 50GB / store unless you're using CCR / LCR or some other mirroring technology

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
New Contributor

Yep.. I did think of that some time ago, I am planning on splitting the info store as soon as I am on the new server..!  I wasnt aware MS recommends a 200 GB limit for a store.. thanks for the info.  Would you also happen to know the max (practical?) limit they recommend for a mailbox (because our future growth is gonna require more 1GB - 2GB mailboxes.. and obviously more for the VIP's!)?

Good to know BES will still continue looking at the back-end mailbox server.  This wont change Outlook configuration on th domain, MAPI clients will still look at the back-end.  However, OWA IP will change to the one on the front-end server.

Will surely mark this issue solved with Kudos as soon as I am done migrating over.. about 2 weeks more.

Needless to say, Thanks a LOT all of you!!

VS.

Highlighted
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

I should say, the 200gb is with ccr / lcr ... but even still that is a max; it all depends what your SLA / RPO / RTO are.

Good luck!

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/