Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: BES developer
My Carrier: BES developer

BES structure dimension

Hellos folks. I am just starting in the BES world, a I don not have a clue to begin, , the problem is, I have to make a first draw of how colud be a BES estructure for 3000 users. But the problem that in scarring me is the mailbox size of the users, I am talking about 20 GB. The structure must be in HA.

Is it necessary to have servers i stand by? Can I distribute by the servers instances of BES, (primary and stand by) and do not have idle servers???

Please help!!!!

Thanks

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Blackberry Classic
My Carrier: Swisscom

Re: BES structure dimension

You are here in the BES 5.x forum. BES 5.x has a successor, BES 10, which is quite different from BES 5.x.

Can you clarify if you need to build a BES 5.x environment (supporting OS 7 devices) or if you need to have a BES 10 environment (supporting OS 10 devices)?
New Contributor

The structure is going to deployed in BES 5.0.4, I am sorry, for not specifying in my quetion.

Thak you very much

Forums Advisor III

If you need HA, there is just the active-passive solution from Blackberry. There is no active-active solution.

Regarding the size of the mailboxes: The standard setting is that only the mails of the last 30 days are synced to the devices. Also, attachments are not synced by default. So 20 GB mailboxes should be no problem.

Regarding sizing: There are sizing documents from Blackberry which give recommendations on how many servers you need given a certain number of users. It is also important to consider the load on the SQL server and the mail servers. See this document:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/46170/BlackBerry_Enterprise_Server_for_Microsoft_Ex...

You can host up to 2000 users on one BES, so in your case you would need 2 servers, + the HA additional servers.

You also have to check which services you want to have separate: Router service, attachment service, administration service etc.

If you have no BES experience, I would suggest to get a consultant for this.

New Contributor

What about the impact on the database??

I don´t know the size of this database, I was reading the test documentation and it implies that the database usage dos not grow so much.

Can you give me a piece of glue?

Forums Advisor III

My experience is that you should expect about 4MB per user, so your DB will be about 12 GB.

New Contributor

Do you refer to the SQL database? Or the log files?

Thanks

Forums Advisor III

I refer to the SQL database. Log files don't get big if you do a daily backup.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

i have people with 30 gig mailboxes and no issues on Exchange 2010. We had 20 gig on 2003 wihith out issue but the hit on the mail server was huge at about 3.8 user load per user

2007 is about 2

The server impact on 2010 is about the same as a Outlook user.

Make sure you have enough IOPS for those 3000 users on you mail server

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V