Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

My Device: Not Specified

BPS, CALs, and SRP

I need help performing a Blackberry Professional Server install on SBS 2003, and I'm afraid I've already made a serious mistake.

1. I downloaded the BPS software package from blackberry.com

2. I followed the installation guide, and everything is working fine (pre-licensing steps)

3. The IT manager at my company purchased what appears to be BES 10 User CAL

4. I do NOT have an SRP identifier or authentication key.

Did I completely skip a step? Are we SOL regarding the purchase of the BES CAL (which is, according to what I've read, different from/incompatible with BPS)? With the deadline for this project rapidly approaching, I'm at a loss for answers, having never dealt with the administration of a Blackberry server before.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer.

Developer
My Device: 8520, 9700

Re: BPS, CALs, and SRP

You would need to purchase the SRP and Auth Key, this is essentially done via the Carrier or Solutions Company.

If this is the Express download via BB.com, then you have had an email from them with a Link reference for licensing.

BPS and Full Enterprise CAL's work on each.

The CAL no longer determines the whether you have SBE or Full Enterprise, as was the case originally last year when the software was the same. The Software now determines what you have. The Cal you have will and should work but you will need an SRP and Auth key for the remainder of the install. The SRP and Auth Key will be unique to your server, so attaining an SRP and Auth from another BES or other means will Disable the SRP at RIM. 

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Great info!

I am trying to move one user from a BES Express 4.1 to Blackberry Professional 4.1.  I have the CAL and the original SRP and all, but does this mean that since I want to move this user to a different server, I need to contact Blackberry to get a new SRP #?  My previous BBS Express SRP info will not work on the BB Professional 4.1 software?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: 8520, 9700

My gut feel says it will not work as the Licensing engine changed from the original Express release to Professional.

If you have gone through the install and it does not work, then you may have to contact RIM for advise on the change so that Professional accepts the License CAL. The SRP and Auth Key should work regardless as these are Agnostic, the CAL will be the concern if it is failing. In most cases from a Professional to Enterprise Upgrade there would be a charge for this. However you are upgrading from old express/sbs to Professional, essentially the same.