Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Basic Blackberry Question - Inbox?

Before I query all of you Berry experts for solutions to my problems, I figure I would ask a very baseline newbie questions.  Because I'm getting the feeling that what I thought a Blackberry did, and what it actually does do, are very different.

Inbox?  As best as I can tell, there is one giant 'lump everything in here' folder on this device.  Called "messages".  That is where incoming emails go, that is where sent emails go, and if I have a secondary pop internet account... they all go there too.

I was sort of expecting, ya know... an inbox and a sent items folder.  Like an email client.  Is this not the case?

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Basic Blackberry Question - Inbox?

hello,

when you open the messages application, all messages appear (except SMS if you decide to seperate them) : inbox of account1, inboc of account2, sent, drafts, etc.

But you can also decide to view a specific folder that will contain inbox of account1 and inbox of account2, it's simply called inbox.
you can also decide to view only the sent folder.

you can create search views, for example "all mails received at addresse me2@account2", and assign a shortcut to it (like Alt-W).

you can also decide to hide all the messages you have sent from your Blackberry (it's in the options)

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Think of "Messages" as "Mail program" ... if you go through the options listed you can see how you can customize how the "Messages" program functions.
------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hmmm, interesting.

So I have 1 big catch all folder on this thing.... but I can filter the views of that folder to obtain something similar to what I am looking for.

Here is probably an obvious question then.  Why not have actual folders for these things?  "Inbox1, Inbox2, Sent Items, etc" instead of one big cluster bomb that I have to tweak to work?  Hahah.  Sorry, I'm just incredibly annoyed after trying to figure this all out.  Is that just not the way the technology works?  Or is this a design decision.

Anyway, is there a way to manually set this up to have it be more like an organized email client - maybe with rules or rediction so that I have an inbox and a sent items folder??  Having to tweak viewing options everytime I want to see just my inbox or my sent items seems unnecessary.

Message Edited by Nonprofit on 09-18-2008 10:50 AM
Message Edited by Nonprofit on 09-18-2008 11:01 AM
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Nonprofit,

what you are talking about is exactly the second paragraph of my previous answer. The folder tree exists, it's just that when you open the messages application, you see the content of all of them.

To view a specific folder, hit Menu key and select "View Folder". Then choose the folder you want.

The only thing that is different from a regular desktop MUA is that you can't have 1 folder for inbox1 and 1 folder for inbox2. There is just one inbox.
if you are using BES you can do the following too :
To move a message from one folder to another, hit the Menu key and select "File message".

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Now I'm with ya.  Thought it seemed to too awkward the way it appeared... knew I must have been missing something.  Thanks!