Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Enterprise Server Express Activation Problem

ISSUE: Cannot activate Blackberry phones on our BES Express server

Server: Windows Server 2008 R2, Exchange Server 2010, BES Express 5.0 (5.0.2.29)

Handheld : 8900

Carrier AT&T

I installed BES Express per RIM instructions.  Initially, I had a Blackberry router issue, but after changing Checkpoint Firewall settings, I now succesfully connect in the Blackberry Router tab to the SRP server addresses for North America-USA.

For testing, I created a new user account and email address on the domain.  I can login to this account in Outlook/OWA as both the test user and as BESADMIN (to test BESAdmin permissions) and can send, recieve, delete, etc...

I have run the IEMSTest.exe utility against the account and was successful in all regards except "send as" (which I have been told is a false error...and confirmed since I can send as the user in Outlook when logged in to that account using the BESadmin credentials) and the also failed on "EWS Calendar Find Request"...not sure if that one matters.

To test the phone provisioning, I went to the Blackberry Expert Support Center website, logged in...entered the PIN and EMEI info for the phone in question and got a "Success" for the phone being provisioned correctly for BES Express.

When I generate a new activation password and attempt Enterprise Activation on the phone, the phone sits there at "Contacting Server" and never advances...eventually timing out.  Meanwhile, back in Outlook I see an email with the ETP.DAT attachment which never clears...

Please Advise...

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Blackberry Enterprise Server Express Activation Problem

etp dat needs to be processed by BES and that usually is a permissions issue

search for all teh etp dat files and delete them.

run this test on the affected user

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02091

Double check permission according to this

KB02276 - Assigning permissions for a BlackBerry Enterprise Server service account

KB15582 - BlackBerry Enterprise Server might not work correctly in Microsoft Exchange environments w...

What is the BESAdmin service account?
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Enterprise-Solution/What-is-the-BESAdmin-service-a...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: AT&T

Thank You,

But when I saw your response, I was discouraged as I was confident I have done all of this already and that there was not any new information for me...

...However...

This particular Exchange/BES server happens to reside in the San Diego area where you have just heard about a major power outage yesterday...

Due to the outage and and my servers running on battery backup, I was forced to shut them down for the night.  Upon reboot this morning, I now see the ETP.DAT email has cleared and my BB is activated...

...a stupid reboot is all the server needed.

Thanks much for your response anyway...I am going to go ahead and close this now.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

power outages can be fun, glad to see you are doing better.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V