Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry devices "Out of coverage"

[ Edited ]

Hi

At the moment, most of our users are based in the major cities where the carrier coverage is great, so we don't need to worry about them being out of coverage.

Shortly, however, some will be travelling to various parts of the country where coverage may not be that great and I was wondering how this would affect our BES service to these BB users (we are running BES 4.1.7).

Let's say a BB user is out of coverage. How does the BES "know" not to keep trying to send messages to them?

On this same level, could someone clarify the various signal 'bands' there are? From the users who have gone out of coverage there seems to be:

3G (best) > EDGE > GPRS > gprs > GSM

Am I correct? And they need at least GPRS for BES functionality to work (lower case gprs means that the device is just waiting for BES-enabled GPRS to work)?

But I always thought GSM was the band that all of them (incl 3G worked at)?

Retired
My Device: 9500, 8110, 8700, 8220, 9100, 9800, 9810, Z10

Re: Blackberry devices "Out of coverage"

Hey Sheen,

This KB may provide you with some addition information regarding this. 

Seven day message expiry for out-of-coverage BlackBerry smartphone users

-SR

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, perfect!

To quote:

"When a BlackBerry smartphone is unable to receive messages (for example, if the BlackBerry smartphone user is out of network coverage or the radio is off), the messages remain in a queue on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server until the BlackBerry smartphone connects to the wireless network"

So I guess that that BES server needs to recv some sort of notification from the wireless (carrier or RIM?) network that the device is back in coverage again. Do you know how this works? Is the communication regarding out of coverage/ in coverage devices:

i) Between BES server and RIM NOC

ii) RIM NOC and Carrier network

iii) BES server and Carrier network?

Retired
My Device: 9500, 8110, 8700, 8220, 9100, 9800, 9810, Z10

The BES will try to send the messages for 7 days

-SR

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Highlighted
New Developer

Hi,

The message which will be in queue so how will you push that data to the UI and how will you know when the network comesonline.

Can u please suggest me some solution.

Regards

Vilas Talewale

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 (personal), Bold 9000 (work), plus provide support for various others!
My Carrier: Vodafone and Orange

The device will send an ack, for every email, when it is received - so the server knows the email has arrived and will stop trying to send it. On top of the process to push emails out to the device, the device also polls the mail server (I think every 15 minutes or so) to download any emails that timed out when trying to push. This explains why if the phones been off for a while, you might get 5 fairly recent messages, then shortly after, a load of older email at the top of the mailbox.