Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Can't send file attachments other than pix from device PICTURES folder

Hi.

I've got a question about sending e-mail file attachments via BES. We've got BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.0. for Exchange 2003 and about a dozen users with identical Curve 8330 devices.

The problem is that we try to send a file attachment, the only option is to send a JPG picture, and then only from the phone's Pictures folder. There is no way to browse other locations on the phone or on an inserted memory card, nor can you even attach file types other than a JPG even if they're in the pictures folder. (If I use a utility to put, say, a ZIP file in that folder, it doesn't appear in the list when you go to attach a file.)

I know the BES server is the problem, because when I select a carrier-based BIS e-mail account as the send account, I'm free to attach whatever kind of file I want from wherever I want.

This is driving me nuts. I can't imagine why BES would limit you to only sending pictures, and then only let you pick them from one location. The phones are getting the default policy from the server-- I've scanned it and can't find any rule that would appear to block certain attachment types/locations.  

Does anybody know what's going on here-- whether it's an inherent limitation of BES 4.0 or something that can be addressed via a policy modification?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Joe

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Can't send file attachments other than pix from device PICTURES folder

4.0 has more limitations than currents release. Might be time for an upgrade.

Upgrade to new version is about $999.00 USD

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/server/5/upgrade.jsp

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Re: Can't send file attachments other than pix from device PICTURES folder

Alas, upgrading really isn't an option right now, due to budgetary restrictions, and though that $999 price is tempting, without technical support to go with the software (which doesn't appear to be included at that price) I can't risk having something get borked during the upgrade.

It would be nice to know whether the problem is in fact a inherent limitation or a configuration issue, but none of the research I've done or docs I've read can definititively answer that question.

Highlighted

Re: I RUN out of memory for file attachments other than pix from device PICTURES folder plus youtube