Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Can you remove MDS from an enterprise solution already setup?

I'd like to remove MDS integration services from 2 of my 4 servers.  No one is using it and it's simply sitting idle.  I want it gone.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks so much,

Alan

Super Contributor
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

Re: Can you remove MDS from an enterprise solution already setup?

I only know it can be done because our company BES Admins decided to do it.  I do NOT know how it's done though.

Some warnings.

User's BlackBerries will NOT have access to your corporate Intranet site.  If you want them to be able to get to a company Web page, it must be Internet facing if MDS is disabled.

Maybe they didn't impliment it correctly, but many third party applications see that the BlackBerry is set up on a BES, and attempt to use the Desktop[IPPP] routing to get to the Internet.  This no longer works in our setup.  The solution is to delete the Desktop[IPPP] Service Book (which will also remove the Desktop[BrowserConfig] Service Book) so that applications "fall through" to the carrier's IPPP Service Book.

If your users connect to a configured Desktop Manager, ALL Desktop Service Books will automatically be pushed to the device.  This, of course, will break any third party apps that use Desktop[IPPP] requiring it to be deleted again once the device is unplugged. 

I had several BlackBerries that refused to run third party applications even after full wipe, reactivate, delete Desktop[IPPP].  It ended up that the [IPPP] service books that the Carrier was pushing down were out of date, but with MDS enabled, it wasn't a problem.  I don't remember what they called it, but the carrier had to reset their Service Books so that the current ones were being pushed down instead of the ones that were originally set up with the account years ago, but the carrier had since changed their IPPP Service Book setup, but still had the old Service Books that no longer worked as being defined as the ones that needed to be pushed down to the BlackBerry.  It took two days and many calls to Enterprise Support to get a tech that had any idea that this was the problem the first time I got it fixed!

I am NOT a BES Admin - I support the end users.  I HATE that this was done!  I am fully aware of why it was done, but the fact is that there are better ways to strengthen the security behind the "security hole" MDS presents.  Nothing is going to protect a network from a user that downloads and installs a malicious application other than truly tight security.  If your network is insecure, disabling MDS will not protect it!  If you have anything that's Internet Facing, there's no reason to disable MDS. IMHO...

Jerry
Highlighted
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

alan300 wrote:

I'd like to remove MDS integration services from 2 of my 4 servers.  No one is using it and it's simply sitting idle.  I want it gone.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks so much,

Alan

The only way to do this is to completely uninstall BES and reinstall without MDS-IS; not worth the effort.

Simply disable the services on the server.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
New Contributor

Thank you all for the replies.  Not exactly what I was hoping for, but guess that's the way it will have to be.

Appreciate the help.

Alan

Forums Veteran II

alan300 wrote:

Thank you all for the replies.  Not exactly what I was hoping for, but guess that's the way it will have to be.

Appreciate the help.

Alan

I feel your pain too ... the frist few installs I did that included MDSS / MDS-IS I regret every day ... I count the days until I can migrate / consolidate / retire them

New Contributor

It's quite sad.  You would think you could just do an uninstall or something easy like that.  Why does it have to be so difficult?  lol
Forums Veteran II

... I honestly have no clue.

I don't know why individual components can't be easily installed / removed.  Guess it isn't high on the priority list at RIM.