Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Cause of hung threads

Hi

We seem to experience intermittent problems with hung MAPI threads causing our BES to hang - I can see these in the Controller log. However, there is no iobviou issues with Exchange nor the underlying network connectivity.

I had a couple of questions I was hoping someone could help me with;

a) What exactly is the definition of a hung thread any why are they bad?

b) What causes them?

c) What is the most effective method to clear them with the least interuption to the users?

Hope someone can help...we are running BES 4.1.5

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Re: Cause of hung threads

A thread is spawned by a messanging agent, they do the work of the messanging agent. The BES checks every 10 minutes or so what the work threads are doing, to make sure they are still working.  Some things to consder are, what messanging agents are the threads on and what are the ping times, how many users on the exchange side etc: Obviously restarting the dispatcher server will give you a quick fix, but you can set up some counters to montior this. Props to Gibson_hg to explaining this on a post.

1.  a hung thread is a messanging agent not being utlized to its maximum potenial

2.  Ping times in excess of 50ms, general latency.

3. Restarting the messanging agent, restart dispatcher service.

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Highlighted
Forums Veteran I

Also just thought about it, another big cause of messanging agents, is the BES talking to too many mail servers. And users who are no longer on the BES not being removed properly

Regular Contributor

Hi

If I restart the BlackBerry Dispatcher service/and Messaging Agent (not sure how to start an individual messaging agent?), will this result in delays to the users on this BES server whilst BES re-processes all users mailboxes to see if there any new items to send?

A big problem we have is that if we restart BES services, users on this server generally can't perform lookups/send/recieve email on their handheld for up about a hour whilst BES presumably re-scans all the mailboxes.

Forums Veteran I

[ Edited ]
In the controller log, find the hung thread, in the error message find the process number. it will be at the end of the message.  Then open the task manager and find the blackberryagent.exe with that coresponding PID which will be the same as the process number. End that task. The controller service will then restart that agent.
Message Edited by bbhorrigan on 01-17-2009 03:24 PM

Regular Contributor

Hi

Thanks bbhorigan, but I'm not entirely sure how to do this;

"In the controller log, find the hung thread, in the error message find the process number. it will be at the end of the message.  Then open the task manager and find the blackberryagent.exe with that coresponding PID which will be the same as the process number. End that task. The controller service will then restart that agent."

When I open Task Manager, I do see lots of blackberryagent.exe's, but how do I find the PID?

Sorry.

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Forums Veteran I

Jibi rocks