Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Deny or deactivate application use

How can we deactivate or remove access to certain applications on the Blackberry handheld using the BES?  We have some Blackberry Curve's where we want to remove access to some apps such as the Facebook icon but there are too many to manually remove on the handheld unit itself.

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Re: Deny or deactivate application use

If this is at all possible (which I'm pretty sure it won't be due to facebook being a RIM-signed application), to prevent the application from being installed / have the application removed, you'd need to download Facebook and then install it on a BlackBerry handheld.  After completing the install, you'd need to get a copy of the installation cod and create an alx to pair with it and add to a software configuration with an application control policy set to the disposition of disallowed, and then assign that configuration to the user(s) in question.

Personally, I don't think it'll work as it is a RIM-signed application and I've not been able to get RIM-signed apps to properly remove through an ACP / SW Config.

Alternatively, you can use the IT Policy setting:  Security Policy Group > Disable Public Social Networking Applications IT policy rule

however this will only work with  BlackBerry® Device Software Version 4.5 (or higher) and BlackBerry® Enterprise Server Version 4.1 SP5 (or higher).

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/