Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Effect of Mailbox size on BES?

Hi All,

We are currently running 4.1.5 with Exchange 2003. Most users have a mailbox limit of about 150MB.

With the introduction of new storage technology, we will shortly be looking into upgrading everyone's mailbox limit to 1GB.....at the moment, we have 3 BES servers, with 500 users on each.

Is this a good idea? I read that the BES recovery time (after reboot/restart of BES services) is affected by the fact that it needs to re-process all mailboxes to check for new items- with an almost tenfold increase in size, am I right in thinking that this would have a serious impact on the performance time?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Re: Effect of Mailbox size on BES?

Not a bad idea, thats a pretty average mailbox size. It might change your activation times a very little bit, but that isn't really going to change performance at all. During activation, the BES has to scan the mailbox, but that really isn't that big anymore.  I would say that is the max. I would say the suggested is 500mb, thats what most users I work with keep.

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Effect of Mailbox size on BES?

You will know when the store's "disk transfer/second", in performance monitor, is saturated/maxed out.

If it equals your calculated IOPS then you are maxing out your disk structure and users will see performace issues and BES scanning will slow down.

Mine rarely saturates more than a few seconds in a minute except during a backup (guess 90 gig per hour should do that).

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V