Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

HUGE log files BES 4.1.6.9

Looking for some insight - I came into work this morning to find my server out of disc space. Apparantly over the weekend, the BES Server created an 8gb log file! I had to delete it right away, as applications were crashing left and right - but how in the heck can the BES create "log" files that huge, and is there any way to stop it in the future?

My setup - Windows 2003R2 server, running Exchange 2003 and BES. (2) 2.0 Dual Core's, 4gb RAM, 20gb C: 185gb D:

Only 12 users running on the BES

Any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

-Rick

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: HUGE log files BES 4.1.6.9

Go to BB server configurator

Change logging to drive D: if it has lots of free space.

Also while there you can see the type of logging enabled.

Maybe you enable something or something went wrong with BES.

Since it is deleted, there might not be much to look at.

My logs are about 8.9 gig total for the last 27 months+

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks for the info Knotty. I went ahead, changed it to D: and also unchecked the "daily log". Are those important to save? 8.9gb of logs over 27 months, not bad considering my 8gb dilema was only one day!!
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

rciglar wrote:
Thanks for the info Knotty. I went ahead, changed it to D: and also unchecked the "daily log". Are those important to save? 8.9gb of logs over 27 months, not bad considering my 8gb dilema was only one day!!

YES, BES logs are important to save ... if you ever need to troubleshoot that is.  Which file was 8GB? ALRT?

I recommend keeping at least 30 days of logs; some customers I work with keep 1 year + for trend analysis.  They're plain text so compression / zipping them works really well.

Perhaps take a look at a script I put together to zip up log files on a regular basis.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Highlighted
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Andy is right about keeping them for 30 days or more.

If D has plenty of room then monitor it for a while and see if the 8 gig file comes back.

In the future move the offending file if possible instead of deleteing it. It probably has the info you need to troubleshoot.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V