Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Enterprise Server 4.1.7
My Carrier: AT&T

Help needed with BES 4.1.7 migration to Active Directory

We are currently running Blackberry Enterprise Server on a Windows NT network connected to MS Exchange 5.5.  We are in the process of migrating our network to Active Directory, and have figured out what we need to do to migrate our Exchange 5.5 server to AD using the Active Directory Connector.  But we have yet to figure out how to disconnect the existing BES user accounts and reconnect them to Active Directory via LDAP (rebuilding the server, which we don't want to do!).  We would appreciate hearing from anyone that has done this before. 

Note: due to some quirks in our NT domain that we don't want to bring over, we are doing a manual, side-by-side migration from NT to AD, and are NOT running the Active Directory Migration Tool.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Help needed with BES 4.1.7 migration to Active Directory

will this be a new exchange org?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

No.  We are going migrate our Exchange 5.5 Server "as is" and set up the ADC connection manually between it and the AD controller.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I think this manual might help you out, I have not messed with with this in a long time.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?noCount=true&externalId=en15695&sliceId=pdfP...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Highlighted
New Contributor

OK.  I'll check it out!

Thanks!

Guru III
My Device:

how did you do on this?

New Contributor

Not going good.  The reference does not discuss Active Directory. 

This seems to be ther hole we're in: Exchange 5.5 and BES 4.1.7 references don't talk about AD, while newer articles on AD don't address the older Exchange. <sigh!>

We are assuming we may end up having to break our BES MAPI connection with Exchange, migrating the server to AD, making the ADC connection between the domain controller and Exchange, then setting up an LDAP connection between AD and the BES, and recreating our BES accounts to point to AD.  We're just not sure of the correct process, and we've found zero confirmation out there on how to procede.  Very frustrating!

Guru III
My Device:

Found this thread which might help

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-admin-corner/128141-exchange-5-5-2k3-migration.html