Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

My Device: Not Specified

Help upgrading BES from 3.6.2 to 4.1.6 in phases

Hi,

I am planning BlackBerry Enterprise Server upgrade from 3.6.2 to 4.1.6 version. I have read the upgrade document, but still have some issues to clarify. Please confirm my plan about the upgrade process. Please correct I misunderstood something.

We have VIP BB users, so the upgrade process should be performed as smoothly as it is possible. The total number of the users is 50. I would like to maintain the functionality of the old BB server until all of the users are migrated to the new one.

The licensing question:
- If we have active support contract with BB, then we can use the new version for free.
- If we don't have the support, then we have to buy the upgrade license for $999
- To perform the upgrade in phases we have to contact BB, and ask for the Migration kit. This migration kit contains a SRP ID, which can be used together with the original SRP ID.
- Am I right?

Here are my installation plan:
- I have to perform the upgrade to a new computer in phases to ensure minimal BB service break.
- I plan to install a new BB server with a new BB database, this will result a new BB domain.
- To the new BB server I have to install the SRP ID in the Migration Kit, and the upgrade license (or the original license if we have support contract)
- This configuration will result 2 functional BB domains in the system. Can I use the same besadmin account for both of them? Or I have to create a new account for the new BB server?
- Until this point the original BB server is untouched.

To perform the migration:
- I have to backup the BB device with the BB Device Manager on the user's computer.
- I have to delete the user from the old BB server.
- I have to add the user to the new BB server.
- How can I reconfigure the BB device? Please give me a step-by-step advice. Should I wipe the device, and reconnect it to the new BB domain with BB device manager?
- Is it possible to reconfigure the device without the BB manager?  Is it possible to reconfigure the device remotely, over the air?

The last step:
- After migration all of the users to the new server, I have to shut down the original server.
- After shutting down the old server, I plan to replace the migration/temporary SRP ID on the new server with the original SRP ID from the old server. What will happed to de BB devices when I replace the SRP ID? Will they realize the change automatically?

Another idea idea is to change SRP ID on the old server to the migration/temp SRP ID  from the migration kit, before installing the new server. And install the new server with the old/original SRP ID. In this situation what will happen to the BB devices? Will they be able to communicate continuously with the old BB server?

Thank you for your help!
Contributor

Re: Help upgrading BES from 3.6.2 to 4.1.6 in phases

I´m doing exact the same thing but I´m migating from 4.0.

Exact same VIP needs but only 10 users.

License question: I installed a 90 days Trial and work from there migrating user by user is not easy, several issues with aplications, wiping (because is a new database). The codes from the trial that ask me are the tag id, activation and cal during install of the trial. That came with the mail to download the trial.

People of Blackberry in Mexico recommend me a migration in the same server but that affect the requierement of VIP al lack of service if something goes wrong. And then change the database to a new server. I have no contract so they were very clear pay or die.

So I follows this line and download de trial 313Mb and installed worked remarkably follow the installation guides of the version. So I call this guys and ask for the upgrade charge, pay it and receive a mail to download the upgrade no codes. I was terrified but as usual only for a moment.

When I download the "upgrade" it was exactly as the trial in size and contents.

So I see the license addition of the trial and see that are 5 grupos of 6 letters. The same that I have in my old server.

I´m now finishing my user migration and send a mail for help to blackberry with my licenses and invoice of the upgrade. I was answered last week and ask me to call them to help me.

So I think I need to finish the migration and the call them to help me migrate my licenses.

Some people are so squared giving support and in countries as mine that monopolies, is do it as my way or die in the attempt. Is an honor to show the way to change the square in another figure.

I´m going to call them this week to talk about my ideas and the repost the continuation of this.

Installation Question: Yes you can use the same account I think. I use a new one.

To perform the migration questions : - I have to backup the BB device with the BB Device Manager on the user's computer.
- I have to delete the user from the old BB server. YES
- I have to add the user to the new BB server.YES
- How can I reconfigure the BB device? Please give me a step-by-step advice. Should I wipe the device, and reconnect it to the new BB domain with BB device manager? The only need you need to do after user add, is right click and send e-mail activation password. See the mail in a machine of the user and go to options, advance options, enterprise activation. Enter the a-mail and activation password. Over the air.
- Is it possible to reconfigure the device without the BB manager? Is it possible to reconfigure the device remotely, over the air?

YES

The last step is where I´m now so you need to wait for that one. But I think is only amatter to have all the users in the new server remove the licenses from the old server and shutdown and the pass the licenses to the new server. But is on ly an assumption.

Extra recommendations:

Do the wizard for configure the device, if the date or time are wrong the mails are going to be with a wrong date and hour. And the only way to correct that is to delete the user and activate again. And because is a different database you need to wipe the device (option, secutiry option, general settings, menu key and select wipe the device the type blackberry and takes about 2-5 minutes to complete. And then the wizard that includes activation.)

Regards
Highlighted

Re: Help upgrading BES from 3.6.2 to 4.1.6 in phases

Hi

I am doing the same thing to migrate BES 3.6 to BES 4.1.X. Your post had help me a lot to migrate users in my company. But from now, i need to change SRP on the new BES 4.1.x. Anyways i'm scaring about to do that because, i dont know what's happend to the client's terminals. Are they disconnecting for a while, or not, or anything else ?

Thanx a lot and

have a nice day

Baboupc from France