Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
New Developer
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

How do I register self-signed certificates?

I originally posted to the MDS Runtime Development forum, asking about how to authorise a self-signed certificate in an application that I am looking to develop. I was referred to this forum to ask how to register a self-signed certificate with the MDS Server. At this point, I don't have access to a server, but maybe any suggestions will also be applicable to the MDS IS that is installed as part of Visual Studio plug-in. 

My original message is below.

Regards,

Neil 

--- 

I am evaluating whether we can develop an application on the blackberry in a short timeframe, using the RAD approach. After a few hours of investigation, I can see how most of it can be achieved. I am having a problem connecting to a web service over SSL. 

For basic testing, I have setup a Vista machine running IIS 7. I have placed a web service on it. I want to test that the blackberry application can successfully connect to this service over SSL. I have created a self-signed certificate for this site - where the date and the CN are valid for the URL that I am using, but other values, e.g. issuing authority, are not set.

If I navigate to the URL for the web service in a web browser, I am prompted that there is a problem with the security certificate - which I would expect. Once accepted, I can proceed to interact with the web service.  

Whilst I see how I can accept the certificate if when I am using a regular browser, I wonder if there is a way to get the simulator (and a real machine) to accept a self-signed certificate. 

When I access the web-service via the code in the RAD app, I receive an error (MDS_RE_ERROR), which if I look on the details tab for the MDS Development Server, I see is a Java exception saying that the certificate is not trusted. 

Is there a way that I can configure the blackberry to accept a self-signed certificate?  If we write the application, then it will only be deployed to a limited number of known people. A self-signed certificate is likely to suit our needs for the application, but at the very least, we would need it for our test platform. 

Current development platform:

Windows XP Service Pack 2

Visual Studio 2005

Blackberry plug-in for Visual Studio 2005 

Regards,

Neil