Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

Integration between BES 4.1.7 and Active Directory 2008

I am trying to find out if there are any authentication or operational issues with BES 4.1.7 and Active Directory 2008R2. We have a BES server version 4.1.7.20 running on Windows 2003 in an Active Directory 2003 environment and are scheduled to upgrade our environment to 2008R2 Active Directory. I have been told there are no issue but can't find any documentation to reinforce that statement. The compatibility guide only metions whether it will run on 2008 not whether the BES 4.1.7 will run after we upgrade Active Directory.

Thanks

New Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Integration between BES 4.1.7 and Active Directory 2008

In this situation I would call Blackberry's support team.  

Aside from that - are you migrating to a new server?   You have made it sound like you are running a full upgrade on the current hardware.  If is such, I'd highly recommend re-installing the BES in either scenario and recreating your users and re-activating them.  If compatiblity is OK'd, take the time and just re-do it.  On a migration to new hardware, you'd be forced to reinstall the BES anyways.

If you are talking numbers in the hundreds of users, then you might need a different game plan.  A little more info would help greatly.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

Thank you for responding. The Blackberry server will remain as is running on Windows 2003 Enterprise and BES 4.1.7.  It may be upgraded somewhere down the road but not before our domain upgrade.The domain that it resides on will be upgraded to Windows 2008 Active Directory native mode from 2003 Active directory native mode. I need to know if I will have any problems after the Active Directory upgrade or if BES will work fine in the environment.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

Ah, I've never done this particular situation before without a re-install.  This is not to say it can't be done, but was doing it in smaller environments that the time involved was iminimal to re-install the BES.

I could be wrong in saying this, but as long as the migration goes successfully the BES won't care.  The BES looks to local directories currently for users/authentication.  The BES can be located on another server as to where AD is actually running, so long as all the correct forwarding and configuration is done.  From what I would guess, as long as the BES gets the right instructions where to look (migration is happy), you're fine as it will update the locations on the windows side and BES will continue to know the new location.

I think you are still best to give them a call in this situation, unless someone else happens along this to confirm.

Best of luck!