Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Is BESadmin a *must*? Constant sync errors.

We had a consultant set up our BB server a year and a half ago. The server had to be rebuilt several months ago and instead of using the BESadmion account, we just installed everything with the domain admin account. It's been working relatively fine, but we seem to have issues with a few users not getting meeting requests on their BBs.

I checked the MAPI profile and the startup services and all are bound to the domain admin account. If I change it to BESadmin, things start going awry. Does this need to be re-done? Or are my problems related to something else? Certain users are plagued by the Event ID 20216 sync errors and these are the ones having problems with their calenders.

BTW, we're running Exchange 2007 SP1, BES 4.1.6.13.

Thanks!

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: Is BESadmin a *must*? Constant sync errors.

I'd always use BESAdmin acct. if possible. Beasdmin account is not supposed to be in dom. admin group but just regular domain user with escalated permissions on Exchange server. Read install guide.
Contributor

Right, but here's a problem I'm having. I can't seem to apply the correct permissions to BESadmin on the mail server. If I try either of these commands, I get an error (I so hate you people at MS for forcing us to use this command line interface!!!):

get-mailboxserver <mail_server_name> | add-exchangeadministrator BESAdmin –role ViewOnlyAdmin

get-mailboxserver <mail_server_name> | add-adpermission –user BESAdmin –accessrights ExtendedRight –extendedrights Send-As, Receive-As, ms-Exch-Store-Admin

Forums Advisor I

Have you tried without server name? I assume you are logged on to Exchange server as Administrator.:

For Microsoft Exchange 2007

To set an Exchange View Only Administrator role:

1. Click Start > Programs > Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 > Exchange Management Shell.
  2. In the command prompt window, type the following:

add-exchangeadministrator <BESAdmin> -role ViewOnlyAdmin

Where < BESAdmin> is the name of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server service account.

3. Press Enter.

To verify an Exchange View Only Administrator role:

1. Click Start > Programs > Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 > Exchange Management Shell.

get-exchangeadministrator | Format-List

3. Press Enter.
  4. Verify that the BlackBerry Enterprise Server service account has the ViewOnlyAdmin role.

To set Send As, Receive As, and Administer Information Store permissions, complete the following steps:

2. Click Start > Run.
  3. Type cmd.
  4. Press Enter.
  5. Type the following line, and then press Enter:

get-mailboxserver <Exchange2007> | add-adpermission -user <BESAdmin> -accessrights GenericRead, GenericWrite -extendedrights Send-As, Receive-As, ms-Exch-Store-Admin

Where <Exchange2007> is the name of the Microsoft Exchange 2007 Server and <BESAdmin> is the name of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server service account.

To verify the Send As, Receive As, and Administer Information Store permissions, complete the following steps:

get-mailboxserver Exchange2007 | get-ADpermission -user BESAdmin | Format-List

3. Press Enter.

To grant the Send As permission on a single account for all BlackBerry smartphone users in a Microsoft® Active Directory® domain or container, complete the following steps:

1. Open Active Directory Users and Computers.
  2. From the View menu, select the Advanced Features option.

Note: If Advanced Features is not selected, the Security tab will not be visible for domain and container objects.

3. Right-click the appropriate domain or container and click Properties.
  4. On the Security tab, click Advanced.
  5. If the BlackBerry Enterprise Server service account that requires the Send As permission is not listed, click Add and select the BlackBerry Enterprise Server service account name.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Double-click the BlackBerry Enterprise Server service account name.
  8. Select User Objects in the Applies Onto list.
  9. Select the Send As check box.
  10. Click Apply and then click OK.
  11. Close the Properties window and then close Active Directory Users and Computers.

Contributor

OK, I went through all of that and it seems to already have the appropriate permissions.

But if I change the MAPI profile to use BESadmin, I get an error on launching the BES Manager.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Might be a good idea to read through the install guide if you haven't

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=http--nablac...

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Forums Advisor I

Are you changing MAPI profile on the server itself on your admin workstation?
Contributor

We do everything on the server.
Forums Advisor I

[ Edited ]

Well if you used some other acct. (hopefully not domain admin account) just stick with it and do not change profile. You can use this to migrate to a new service account.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB04293&slic...

Message Edited by bbinmyhart on 01-29-2009 12:20 PM
Contributor

Yah, we did use the domain admin account.....I'll check out the link you gave me and see how that works.