Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Issue When Moving BESMGMT Database

Hi All

I had some problems yesterday when i tried to move the BESMGMT Database from a SQL2000 to a SQL2005 server.
We are running 4.1.6 BES on a W2K3 R2 server (VMWARE).
I followed the instructions given for moving the Database and all seemed to go well. However the Blackberry Dispatcher service would just not start. Below is a list of the errors in the event log. Also MDS wouldnt start either. Do the BESMGMT and the MDSS , MDSS_DIS databases need to co-exist on the same Sql box? Are the co-dependent.? One other thing i noticed was that the Blackberry Database Consistency Checker service was running which i had never seen running before. Luckily because it was VMWARE i was able to revert to snapshot and all was good.
Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Pete

The description for Event ID ( 50075 ) in Source ( BlackBerry Dispatcher STBES01 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Starting BlackBerry Dispatcher STBES01 - Version 4.1.6.10.

The description for Event ID ( 20659 ) in Source ( BlackBerry Dispatcher STBES01 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: VerifySchema: COM exception.

The description for Event ID ( 20641 ) in Source ( BlackBerry Dispatcher STBES01 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: COM Error 0x470BE0 in VerifySchema - Error 70010, severity 10, state 1 was raised, but no message with that error number was found in sys.messages. If error is larger than 50000, make sure the user-defined message is added using sp_addmessage. - IDispatch error #3092.
The description for Event ID ( 20642 ) in Source ( BlackBerry Dispatcher STBES01 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Database error in VerifySchema (err=0x80040E14, native err=18054) - Error 70010, severity 10, state 1 was raised, but no message with that error number was found in sys.messages. If error is larger than 50000, make sure the user-defined message is added using sp_addmessage

The description for Event ID ( 35004 ) in Source ( BlackBerry MDS Connection Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: <2009-04-07 18:37:44.593 BST>:[17818]:<MDS-CS_STBES01_MDS-CS_2>:<EVENT>:<LAYER = SRP, server lost SRP connection with UID S357438 due to shutdown>

The description for Event ID ( 15000 ) in Source ( BlackBerry MDS Connection Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: <2009-04-07 18:37:44.593 BST>:[17820]:<MDS-CS_STBES01_MDS-CS_2>:<ERROR>:<LAYER = SRP, EVENT = Exception, java.io.InterruptedIOException
LAYER = SRP, EVENT = Exception, at net.rim.protocol.srp.d.c.connect(Unknown Source)
LAYER = SRP, EVENT = Exception, at net.rim.protocol.srp.d.c.write(Unknown Source)
LAYER = SRP, EVENT = Exception, at net.rim.protocol.srp.d.d.write(Unknown Source)
LAYER = SRP, EVENT = Exception, at java.io.DataOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
LAYER = SRP, EVENT = Exception, at java.io.DataOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
LAYER = SRP, EVENT = Exception, at net.rim.protocol.srp.h.a.writeToStream(Unknown Source)
LAYER = SRP, EVENT = Exception, at net.rim.protocol.srp.f.a.c(Unknown Source)
LAYER = SRP, EVENT = Exception, at net.rim.protocol.srp.d.f(Unknown Source)
LAYER = SRP, EVENT = Exception, at net.rim.protocol.srp.e.b.uD(Unknown Source)
LAYER = SRP, EVENT = Exception, at net.rim.protocol.srp.e.b.run(Unknown Source)
<2009-04-07 18:37:44.593 BST>:[17820]:<MDS-CS_STBES01_MDS-CS_2>:<ERROR>:<java.io.InterruptedIOException>
<2009-04-07 18:37:44.593 BST>:[17820]:<MDS-CS_STBES01_MDS-CS_2>:<ERROR>:<at net.rim.protocol.srp.d.c.connect(Unknown Source)>
<2009-04-07 18:37:44.593 BST>:[17820]:<MDS-CS_STBES01_MDS-CS_2>:<ERROR>:<at net.rim.protocol.srp.d.c.write(Unknown Source)>
<2009-04-07 18:37:44.593 BST>:[17820]:<MDS-CS_STBES01_MDS-CS_2>:<ERROR>:<at net.rim.protocol.srp.d.d.write(Unknown Source)>
<2009-04-07 18:37:44.593 BST>:[17820]:<MDS-CS_STBES01_MDS-CS_2>:<ERROR>:<at java.io.DataOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)>
<2009-04-07 18:37:44.593 BST>:[17820]:<MDS-CS_STBES01_MDS-CS_2>:<ERROR>:<at java.io.DataOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)>
<2009-04-07 18:37:44.593 BST>:[17820]:<MDS-CS_STBES01_MDS-CS_2>:<ERROR>:<at net.rim.protocol.srp.h.a.writeToStream(Unknown Source)>
<2009-04-07 18:37:44.593 BST>:[17820]:<MDS-CS_STBES01_MDS-CS_2>:<ERROR>:<at net.rim.protocol.srp.f.a.c(Unknown Source)>
<2009-04-07 18:37:44.593 BST>:[17820]:<MDS-CS_STBES01_MDS-CS_2>:<ERROR>:<at net.rim.protocol.srp.d.f(Unknown Source)>
<2009-04-07 18:37:44.593 BST>:[17820]:<MDS-CS_STBES01_MDS-CS_2>:<ERROR>:<at net.rim.protocol.srp.e.b.uD(Unknown Source)>
<2009-04-07 18:37:44.593 BST>:[17820]:<MDS-CS_STBES01_MDS-CS_2>:<ERROR>:<at net.rim.protocol.srp.e.b.run(Unknown Source)>
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Issue When Moving BESMGMT Database

Hi psincock,

What instructions did you follow ?

The best article for the database move is http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB03112

It is currently being refined as well.

The most common problem when moving the database to a new instance or SQL server is that the blank database was not created prior to restoring. You have to ensure to follow all the steps and use createdb.exe from the database folder to create a blank database. Although I don't see the error listed in the log snippets you provided, I would guess you were getting 5608 errors. There are quite a few articles in our knowledgebase regarding the topic, if you search for 5608.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc

Let us know if this was done and what steps you took in your database move.

New Contributor

Hi DarkBes

That is exactly what my DBA didnt do hehehehe. When i was looking around the various forums this morning it kept coming up how important this was. I showed him the various articles on that this is what was needed to be done he went a bit sheepish.

We are going to be trying again in two weeks I ll let you know the outcome. One thing can you confrim that the MDSS and MDSS_DIS database have to reside on the same SQL box as the BESMGMT database ?

Many Thanks

Pete

Highlighted
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

this is how you can move it

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB12714&slic...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

I have just moved our database and it was really easy.  I didn't use the createdb program, just have your DBA create a blank database on the new server with the same name as the current one.  This will do the same as the createdb program.  Then just do a backup of the current database and restore it over top of the blank one on the new server.