Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Knife-Edge Cutover

Version:  BES 4.1

Messaging: Exchange 2003 SP2

I am going to be performing this "knife-edge cutover" and the directions are not very detailed. Wondering if someone has come across a more detailed instruction set.

The reason I want to do this is to move my BES server to another server and retask our current BES server. No, it will not be going onto my Exchange server.

ref:  http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/articles/387/KB10278_f.SAL_Public.html

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Re: Knife-Edge Cutover

the link you posted got everything about knife-edge, what do you dont understand in that KB?
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
New Contributor

Not sure yet. I haven't pulled the trigger. I just wanted to see if there was a more detailed instruction set. This one seems kinda weird.
Retired

Hello RobertGile,

Knife edge cutover process is very straight forward, some key points to focus would be

1. Same "BESName" on the new hardware where you plan on installing BES (the bottom of the 7th screen in BESX 4.1.x installer)

2. Install same version of BES on the new hardware that was on the production (old hardware, the server you are cutting over from)

If you have remote SQL server you can skip the following

3. During the process of migrating the BESMgmt database ensure the database schema on the new SQL server is updated as well

If you have any questions during the cutover process please feel free to engage our support team by calling in for immediate resolution. If have you have specific questions during the cutover process, feel free to ask the forum members/moderators.

I hope this helps,

New Contributor

Vector,

Thank you for the reply. Where would I find this BESname at? Its probably right in front of my face but I am not seeing it.

Contributor

Hi Robert,

If you launch the Blackberry Server Configuration and go to Blackberry Server tab you should see the Blackberry Server Name: _____ In my case I call it BES.

just snap shots this screen as you will need the SRP ID and key for the new BES server.

PR

New Contributor

Awesome thanks. Hopefully I'll have my new server early next week so that I can actually do this.
New Contributor

I am getting the MAPIInitialize (80004005) error on BES setup. I have the Exchange Manager installed and the MDAC components. I couldnt get MDAC SP1 to install on Windows Server 2003.  But I do have MDAC 2.8 installed.

I've Googled and everyone else says the same thing: install Exchange Administrator.

Any ideas? thank you in advance.

New Contributor

Nevermind, a nice reboot got it going.

I have a ton of warning messages in the event viewer now though. 

BlackBerry Employee

What are the warnings you are seeing?